Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

24v to 12v lights

JDCrow · 2020-11-24 08:23

On my EX120 24v system I have a bunch of off brand new LED cubes and light bars I’d like to use anyone use a step down transformer from 24v to 12v ?

Replies13
  1. #1Tugger22020-11-24 08:43

    Have a good look at the lights you have. I bought some LED lights a while ago and they worked on 12 and 24.

  2. #2mitch5042020-11-24 09:16

    Yeah, all the LEDs I've seen have a wide range

  3. #3Nige2020-11-24 10:31

    Most good-quality LEDs on the market (Nordic for example) appear to be rated for anything 10-30v DC supply, it's one of their selling points. Only the cheaper ones are more limited. Better to get lights that will run on 24V IMHO. Finding a 24v/12v transformer with the necessary amperage capacity might be a challenge.

  4. #4JDCrow2020-11-24 11:47

    I’ll check them out, thanks!

  5. #5heymccall2020-11-24 11:52

    As stated above, most LED flood lamps are multi voltage. If they're not, I use Omron voltage reducers. I use reducers, though, for my 2way radios and CBs, never saw a need for lighting voltage reduction.

  6. #6Nige2020-11-24 12:16

    Make sure you're sitting down when you check the prices. Cheap they are not ......... the upside is that you fit them and then forget all about them unless they get hit. Apart from some infant mortaility that is usually covered under warranty by the supplier (make sure you use a good one) they seem to last for ever in some of the harshest conditions known to man.

  7. #7mutti_wilson2020-11-24 12:44

    I just added some cheapo Amazon lights to my machine. Wired them into the factory wiring. Here is a video of the lighting. I have no problem seeing what I'm doing. For $60 dollars for 5 lights I can't complain. Mine is a 24v system also. https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Wran...d=1&keywords=light+bar&qid=1606239573&sr=8-14

  8. #8JDCrow2020-11-24 13:20

    Yeah looked at these in the past https://www.tyrilights.com/

  9. #9JDCrow2020-11-24 13:22

    Thanks! Need to pull mine out of storage and look at them

  10. #10terex herder2020-11-24 22:32

    The old solution was pairs in series.

  11. #11JDCrow2020-11-24 22:41

    ahhh like batteries, makes sense

  12. #12Tugger22020-11-24 23:04

    I put 6 of these on the boom ,they daylight everything in front of the crane.

  13. #13JDCrow2020-11-25 05:33

    sweet, are those cubes?