I just bought a cat 277b and it needs a hand throttle cable. I took at all apart and removed the cable. Called the Cat dealer and I can't believe the cable is $250. I know everyone isn't paying that, so give me some options, PLEASE! Thanks for your help
go to your local truck dealer who makes plow truck and ask for your cable and mentionned the treads you have on it.
Yes as Steve 650 says. find the nearest heavy truck dealer that sets up dump trucks and snow plows and ask them if they build Morse Cables. I see Morse has been bought out by Kongsberg but the Morse name should still work. If they don't ask them who does, may have to get down near Pittsburgh to find a place and you would be best to take the old one with for a sample as there are many options relating to these cables. Unless you know every detail you could end up with something that won't work right.
I guess the question is, how much is your time worth? They got you buy the short hairs on this and they know it! I knew when i read the name of the thread it was for a Cat machine, been there twice now. Im all for saving money especially when i know im getting hosed but its not enough of a savings to endeavor into (im guessing). If you need that machine to make money i would just bite the bullet and think of how much fun it is actually replacing it! Kidding, its not fun at all.
I used to take the frozen ones into Instrument Sales and Service before they moved. Before that the marine industry carried every type of cable that you could ever need. Most any industrial boat shop can make them. You will also be getting something designed for use around water and harsh environments. Good Luck!
Try Tri-State hose and supply. There located in Coreopolis (sp?). They made a cable for our a25c dump lever. Cann't remember the cost but Volvo wanted 475 bucks.
I just got a quote, $165 from a custom cable maker. . Like you said, its all in with your time is worth. I will try to local plow setup place. this is just for personal use, there is no big rush. I will try all the input you guys gave, Thanks.
just paid 260 plus tax for same cable from Thompson machinery, researched it pretty thorough for a better deal but had no luck either
I Looked Around Also, $260 Is so much for what you get. I'm going to check around a little bit more before I spend it. I'm still hoping to hear from somebody that has a better idea.
what I can't figure out is what the cable end looked like at the hand throttle control side. That is where it broke, it is just frayed cable, no visible end.
Teleflex directly interchanges with Morse, and is available through most marine suppliers. Most ends are male threaded 10-32, 12-24, or 1/4-NF with a myriad of ends available. http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...11853&familyName=Teleflex+3300+Throttle+Cable
that is a great website. Thank you. Now I just have to find out what kind of and is on that throttle control side
You will also have to find a dealer that sells a 6' cable. That price quoted is for a 10' cable. You can also start from scratch at the operator end by using some of Teleflex or Morse control options.
I will look from the control back and see what Luck I have. thanks again for your help. you better watch out you help me anymore you might just have to show up and put it on for me
Hahaha! Well, it wouldn't be a first for me. :drinkup
Quote Originally Posted by myrph226 View Post I will look from the control back and see what Luck I have. thanks again for your help. you better watch out you help me anymore you might just have to show up and put it on for me I'm sure if you pay mileage and travel time Lil'Puss will be glad to install it! Heck I might even be tempted and I'm a lot closer up near Syracuse, NY!
Try this one, it's 6' long: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEFLEX-33...d=100011&prg=8015&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=380672206837&
here are my ends, I don't think it would work.
Something is missing here, you can't push rope. Where are the springs? Actually, you could use the Teleflex or Morse system, you would just have to use one of their throttle heads or modify yours. Where is the lever? There are a bunch of pieces missing.
this was the way it came apart. I didn't see any extra parts inside when I opened it. I have no idea if I am missing parts, I thought I just needed a cable with a ball on it to fit inside the center of the handle part.
Looks like you are missing a detent ball and spring plus a swaged cable end, which isn't a problem if you have a crimping tool and a small steel ball with a hole in it for the cable. I have successfully used small fishing line lead sinkers for this before. Also, if a new throttle head isn't available, I would consider changing the whole thing over to Teleflex and be done with it. I have a digital Teleflex catalog if you're interested. That's a pretty cheap setup anyway, all pot metal.
I cant find a drawing of what it should look like, or i could get it back together with some new parts. I have access to a lot of odds and ends. I would love to get a new teleflex set-up, but i think it would be too much money for me. What do you think it would cost?
Depends on how much room you have. That would be the determining factor as to which head you would use. I'm thinking you could switch everything over for around a hundred bucks. It looks like the governor end should bolt right up with no mod required. Your control head looks similar to that on my lawnmower (no offense intended).
That cable runs down to the foot throttle. Then one cable runs back to the engine. Send me the teleflex info
In your picture above, the cable crimp ball would fit into the cast socket at the top of the operator by where the handle is attached, and the cable itself will lay in the relief on the perimeter of the operator. There is a strong chance that the cable ends are identical too. I think someone has had this apart before and lost some pieces. This is a marine control that has been adapted. It used to have two cables running into it. I would venture to say it's from an outboard motor.
He probably priced the cable and put it back together. And for the record, your mower cannot possibly have this technologically advanced type of throttle control. Are you going to beat me up more, or are you going to send me the teleflex info?
My apologies, no offense meant. Give me your email addy in a PM and I'll shoot you the catalog. It's in pdf format.
I'm just kidding with you. Thanks for all the help. I thought you said there might be a spring in this contraption too, yes? When you push the throttle fwd and let it go, it will stay there, but you also have the ability to pull the handle back. How does that work, I wouldn't think you could push the cable back.
There should be a return spring at the governor then, and the spring and detent ball that mates to all of those other little holes around the edge are missing. So all you have holding it in place is friction.
I sent you the PM. I tried looking up Teleflex and couldn't find what I needed. I hope your catalog has it.
On it's way, but I don't believe it has any pull-pull cable controls in it.
I opted to make something. I drilled out a piece of wood about an inch deep and about 3/16 diameter. I melted some lead into the hike and stuck the cake into it. I tapped it into place while it was shaving my lead into a tight fit. I tried pulling on it as hard as i could and it seems like it should work. But time will tell.
I opted to make something. I drilled out a piece of wood about an inch deep and about 3/16 diameter. I melted some lead into the hole and stuck the cable into it. I pulled it out and filed it down a little bit, tapped it into place while it was shaving my lead into a tight fit. I tried pulling on it as hard as i could and it seems like it should work. But time will tell.
I'm glad you clarified that. I was really scratching my head trying to figure out what a "hike" and "cake" were. :laugh :laugh Good luck, hope it holds.
Stupid spell correction....thanks for all of the help. Now i have to change all of the inner and outer spacers on the drive hub...but wait, that will be another post when i get stuck!