Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

257B new to me — does it have high speed?

707pc50 ยท 2017-01-11 22:07

I just purchased a new to me 257B 600hrs seems really nice. I am wondering about high speed travel. It has the graphic next to the left hand joystick with a symbol denoting the trigger does "rabbit/turtle" and there is a light upper right side of the cage that indicates "rabbit/turtle", when i click the trigger nothing changes speed wise, and the light doesn't go on. Does my machine have high speed? I assumed it would go into a teeth rattling travel speed, am I wrong? Please advise-

Replies10
  1. #1Mark2502017-01-12 16:37

    hi As you have not provided a serial number I am assuming that it is a B3 since the earlier models did not have two speed and would have a serial number prefix of B7H. here is a description of the earlier version. To tell for sure lift the cab and support. on the left hand side rail will be a manifold with either one or two solenoids if there are two solenoids it has two speed. Mark

  2. #2707pc502017-01-12 19:02

    Thanks I'll look for serial number and solenoid

  3. #3707pc502017-01-12 22:13

    65ssgp064024 is the serial

  4. #4Nige2017-01-12 23:40

    That's not a Cat Serial Number. For a 257B you have 2 options of prefix, SLK or B7H, in each case followed by a 5-digit number. The first digit of that number will most likely be a zero. The full 17-digit PIN will look something like CAT257BxxB7H0xxxx

  5. #5707pc502017-01-13 00:42

    Ok it's at a job, a helper texted that number over, I'll go and look tomorrow and correct this, thanks

  6. #6707pc502017-01-13 16:07

    Where is serial number located please, I think that last number is on the rops

  7. #7Mark2502017-01-13 16:41

    usually on the rear support for the lift cylinder on the inside Mark

  8. #8707pc502017-01-13 21:00

    Im a rookie here, can someone else help me a little more, didn't see anything where bucket lift cylinder attaches to frame

  9. #9check2017-01-13 21:28

    Where left lift arm attaches to frame (top rear of machine).

  10. #10Nige2017-01-13 23:24

    Try the illustration below. Depending on the year/model the PIN Plate (1) is located on the left side of the machine. Or on the back left part of the frame or under the lift arm on the left side. The serial number plate (2) for the engine is located on the left side of the engine block. (If you can supply an engine S/N we can track down the machine S/N from that, or at least we should be able to)