Second Ice storm of our winter is in full bloom here. Damned glad I did not have to work today!! I have my generator welder sitting inside the shop on the forks of my 180 Allis just in case. Supposed to continue thru tonight into tomorrow. Last storm bought me new brake tubing for my Super Duty Ford as the OEM stuff finally rusted from the outside in, hopefully this time is a bit less expensive.
I was up on the KS side of KC yesterday servicing a Watson 3100. The other mechanic and I decided to buckle down and get it done before the weather. Glad I did. You never know how ugly it's gonna get! Hope you don't have any crazy exciting stuff happen. Junkyard
You folks be careful , I hate the ice. Never minded the snow.
Forecast was pretty doom and gloom, so far i don't think anything has made it north of Wichita.
Seems to be following Tornado alley Oklahoma City then Springfield thru St Louis, icky soft sheen ice slick as snot on a marble.
Ya'll stay safe up there. It was 76 here today, 20's and ice last Friday...:dizzy
Been watching this ice / weather system last few days . Bad stuff , hang tough guys . One thing Grand Dad taught us was keep plenty of tire chains , chain saws , kerosene lamps & wood stove for times like this . He did not get electricity until 1949 so power outage didn't bother him to much . New technology & electricity are awesome when it's all working . Old school looks really nice when trees are laying on top of the power lines . HeavyEquipmentForums
"I could use a small vacation.... but it don't look like rain... and if it snows that stretch down South won't ever stand the strain..."
A little Glen Campbell never hurts lol. Around Tulsa it doesn't seem bad. How's it going up in Hermann? We keep getting alerts but so far it's not bad. It was sketchy enough I kept my daughter home last night, didn't want her driving on slick stuff in the dark. Tough part is here it's ok, five miles away it may not be. Hope everybody in the path is ok! Junkyard
Stay warm and safe
Looks like around a 1/4" to 3/8" ice covering here, someone said 1/2" in Rosebud not 20 miles away but further south where it dropped more. Temp hovering at freezing so stuff is not hard solid but still frozen and trying to get some melt on. Dirt, gravel, anything semi-solid like a skating rink so staying on the hill until something gives!
Looks like Kansas & Oklahoma are getting the brunt of it now.
We caught what passed up from OK this last night. Still raining but also warming and thawing stuff out where I am wondering if we will see some high water on this. Yard top thaw is mush on granite so hard frozen a lot deeper than expected and will be a skinned slimy mess for awhile. Thought I would be able to get the donor bucket out and up to the house but looking may be some later.
Up near Harrisonville, MO we didn't have much. Had the generator out, brought the loader and grapple bucket home, cut an extra load of wood.... and then this morning we had a little ice in the trees but the roads and ground were thawed off and clear by 8. Sounds like you guys a little farther south weren't so lucky. Stay warm John
All good now, thawing almost too quick and warming as the night progresses. Could have been much worse!!
One of the perks of living in VT is winter weather bragging rights. We've been a couple years since we had winter. We'd be honored to have your ice storm. Willie
We didn't have a winter last year. Grass was green for 18 months.
Hey, Miller, glad to hear y'all made it through the storm OK, was wondering how it was up that way. Down here between St. James and Salem we had about 1/2 inch, mostly on the trees and power lines. Our power is none-too-reliable as it's often out 4 hours at a time almost every month. It'll go out if you look at it wrong! So I had both generators fueled up, camp stoves at the ready, extra water stashed in jugs--and our power stayed on the whole time! There's thousands all around us whose power did go out, so we were really very, very lucky! We did lose internet access Friday morning until late this afternoon. So of course now I'm spending my "spare time" catching up on some reading.... Hope everyone else on HEF was as lucky as we were! I'll gladly share!