Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

257B overheating

tskinner · 2013-03-31 02:23

Look for some help. I own a 2006 Cat 257B and the coolant temp light comes on after a few min of running. I changed the thermostat and coolant and the temp light still comes on. Any ideas?

Replies9
  1. #1Catbreaker2013-03-31 11:08

    We had the same problem, there is an electrical plug on the right side of the motor that got water in it. The water completed the circuit and activated the light. Hope this helps.

  2. #2Nige2013-03-31 12:31

    My first suggestion is to get hold of an infra-red heat gun and check the temp at the top of the radiator to see if your light coming on is actually a true reflection of what's happening. If the actual temp is acceptable then you have to start digging into the electrical system.

  3. #3tskinner2013-03-31 14:50

    The electrical plug on the right side of the motor was cleaned but the temp light came on after the engine warmed up. I’m thinking about replacing the electrical plug or somehow finding out if the water pump is working properly. It is winter here and cold. Unfortunately, I do not have access an infra-red heat gun.

  4. #4heavylift2013-03-31 21:41

    Have you cleaned the radiators and coolers. An oil leak can spray into the fins, then the dust will stick like glue. Ours are blown out with air, but every now and then the mechanic will show up and pressure wash the machines cooling areas.

  5. #5eric122013-03-31 21:54

    above the thermostat theres a brass plug with 2 wires and a connection on it that reads the temperature, you can test it and see if thats good or bad. i had one go bad and it was like $75 and took 3 minutes to change.

  6. #6tskinner2013-04-03 16:14

    I did clean the fins and there was quite a bit of the fine dirt we have here.

  7. #7tskinner2013-04-03 16:16

    I did try this and it worked. Now to take back the water pump i dident open. Ran the machine for a hour and no problems. Thanks

  8. #8tskinner2013-04-03 16:19

    It was the brass temp sensor.

  9. #9JTWAT2018-03-07 19:53

    Would you still have the part number for that sensor?