Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

257B2 – how to determine if relief circuit for tilt control is installed?

jbarry ยท 2015-05-11 17:06

Looking at purchasing a backhoe attachment for the MTL. Mfg says: "The relief valve for the dump circuit is to prevent damage to your tilt cylinders in the event that the hyd bucket on the big arm puts more weight on the loader than it can safely hold. The relief valve would allow the tilt cylinders to extend rather than do damage. Your dealer should be able to tell you whether the Cat skid steer has that feature already or how you would proceed with that." I can't get anyone at the dealer to reply. Anybody know how to determine this? Disclaimer, I'm a newbie to heavy equipment. Don't know my way around the machines much other than greasing the machine. So if you decide to help out, be patient

Replies1
  1. #1Nige2015-05-11 17:09

    It may be possible to see if the relief valve is installed by looking at the specific machine arrangement. Do you have a Serial Number..? PM it to me if you don't want to post it here. Edit: Just looked at a generic 257B2 Hydraulic schematic diagram applicable to machines SLK1-7299 and there are line relief valves shown for both the head and the rod ends of the tilt cylinders. They are located inside the main control valve group. I will stress however that schematic is generic and I'd like to see the Serial # before saying yea or nay.