I was running the machine, everything was fine until the machine suddenly stopped. I checked the fuses and noticed the fuel pump fuses was replaced by a 20A (originally 15A) and was popped. I put a new one in, the machine started right away and 5 secs later popped again. Not to sure why the fuse keeps popping. It's a **** off cause the machine is right in a driveway and I can't even move it. Is there a solenoid on the pump that drawing too much amps? Any ideas?
In my experience, its that little electric primer pump that craps out. Put new fuse in, turn key to on but don't start. Listen to hear if the pump is working or not.
I'll check that out tomorrow. Although, it starts right away after I put in a new fuse. I would assume it's getting it's prime from that pump. If it's not the primer i'll post again and see what else we can come up with.
Seems to be hit or miss. I've seen some machines run just fine without it until you change the fuel filter. Other times they run like garbage or not at all when the pump fails.
Interesting...I just changed the fuel filter. So I'm assuming you just bought a new primer pump and that fixed it?
I wouldn't throw a pump at it without checking that its the reason the fuse is blowing first. Could be a wire shorted to ground too.
I put a new fuse in, drained the fuel filter and put the key in the on position. The electric pump definitely does not pump. I'm gonna try to download a parts manual and get a part number for that pump. In efforts to speed things up, does anyone know what the PN is?
I'm assuming it this?
416-5886 is the complete fuel transfer pump assembly. 416-5884 is the replacement filter element that fits inside it. I'd strongly suggest that you go back to using 15A fuses for the fuel pump once you get this problem sorted. If you want to download a pdf Parts Manual from Cat I can walk you through the process provided you post up the serial number of your machine (in order to identify the correct manual). Price should be about US$90. If you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual you can download that from the same site for about $45.
Well I know this pump is a weak link for sure as I just had mine quit, no clicking noise when key is turned. I guess cat has an updated pump that ships with the D3’s. question is should I be getting 12v at the connection to the fuel lift/transfer pump? Just checked and nothing when key is turned. Didn’t find the fuse yet. I need a dang shop manual for this thing!
Do you have at least an electrical schematic.? EDIT: Just read your post on the other thread. I'll send you one.
As always you rock! It did pop the 15 amp fuse. And when replaced the pump is intermittent so I assume it’s toast.
is it possible to get that schematic im having that same issue
To get the correct schematic (there are literally dozens) needs your machine Serial Number.
ser. FTL00653 The ECM is not sending a ground signal to the fuel pump relay. What tells the ECM to send signal