Good afternoon, I have a 259D S/N: CE907885 and it keeps blowing the 30 amp fuse on MODULE - PWR RLY 1. I have noticed that the harness from the fuse all the was to connector 33 at pin 1 is all grounded. I’m assuming there is a short to ground and that I’m testing it correctly. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Hello. How often does the fuse blow? The problem with fuse 274-9872 which is in relay 275-0490 is known. This is your 30 amp fuse on MODULE - PWR RLY 1. Here is the probable cause of the problem: The 274-9872 Fuse will sometimes blow when trying to start the engine in cold temperatures and with weak batteries. Under these conditions the engine Electronic Control Module (ECM) may draw an excessive amount of current causing the fuse to blow. Because of the blown fuse the engine ECM will not communicate with the machine ECM or with Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET). Also, the engine starter motor will engage and run but the engine will not start. The best way to prevent the above problem from happening is to keep the machines batteries fully charged. Try to fully charge the batteries or replace them with new ones. And see if the problem reoccurs after replacing the batteries?
Did you mean CW9 rather than CE9 for the prefix.?
Yes I did. sorry for the late post it ended up being a internally shorted engine wire harness.
Sorry for the late reply. It ended up being a internal short in the engine wiring harness. Thank You
Thanks for at least posting what was the eventual problem and solution for others to benefit from. Out of curiosity how many hours was there on your unit. Simon C
That engine model seems to have issues with engine wiring harnesses failing.