2023 Cat 259D3 with 960 hours. Runs for a while just fine then stalls, sits for 60 seconds then starts and runs for a few seconds and stalls again, then repeats. Lift pump runs, not continously, have supplied fuel thru a new line and fuel filter from a fuel can and it does the same thing. Seems like an electrical problem, runs fine when running. I am wondering if the solenoid that shuts down the engine could have a short? Or if the lift pump could not be running when the ecm calls for it to. Any ideas fellows?
Have you disassembled the head of the fuel filter assembly and blown out all the passages.? Please post a Serial Number to confirm whether or not you have an inline screen located before the electric fuel pump. The S/N will also confirm if you have an onboard method for reading Diagnostic Codes that may come in useful.
Hi Nige, hoped I would hear from you. CW921491 is Serial #. I have not done what you suggested. I will try that next. Nothing in that assembly but passages for fuel? I don't want to do more damage than i already have. I have pumped fuel from the tank thru a filter and back in, ( fuel polishing) and it looked amazingly clean coming out of the tank. Also have blown air thru the pickup line to the tank, it seemed clear. Still seems like an electrical issue due to the abruptness of the stalling.
OK so you have the Advanced Display. What Diagnostic Codes and/or Events is it showing.? Also did you drain the fuel tank from the bottom.? There is a drain plug there. Personally I would have thrown the old fuel away or used it to light bonfires, especially if it has even a small percentage of biofuel in it. How does the engine die.? Splutters to a stop or stops just like someone turned the key off.?
168-4 91-3 E459-2 E875-2 3700-4 M 3700-3 M 2795-3 M 2477-3 M 2476-3 M 2475-3 M 2204-4 M 2204-3 M 458-3 M
Stops like it does when turned off. I will pump down the tank and drain.
Out of that list everything that has an "M" suffix is in memory, i.e. not Active right now. So let's concentrate on the Active ones....... 168-4 - System voltage below 10.5v E875-2 - Low System Voltage Not surprisingly these two are both related. 91-3 - Throttle position sensor. Voltage below normal. E459-2 - Engine Rated Horsepower Output Changed. Engine Power Rating Mismatch. My suggestion would be to check the system voltage when the engine starts up and keep monitoring it up to the point where the engine stops in order to check that the alternator is charging. Do that and come back with some numbers before we proceed further.
To explain a little in regard to the electric fuel priming pump, it's only there to fill/prime the system after a filter change or just before startup. The HP injection pump mounted on the engine has a fuel transfer pump built into it that sucks the fuel through the filter & lines and supplies it to the HP pump inlet. So try a couple of tests. 1. Turn the key to the ON position but do not attempt to start the engine. The electric priming pump should run for approximately 30 seconds then stop. 2. Backprobe the 2-pin connector on the fuel pump and check for power. Start the engine and run it until it stops. Do you see any power at all.? You shouldn't do.
Last question. Do any Events or Codes pop up on the screen when the engine stops.?
Nige, i pulled the complete filter pump combination off, disassembled and cleaned all passages then reinstalled. Seems to be running nicely at the moment. I blew a hose on an attachment so I need to make a repair before I can put a fewchours on it. Thank You for all your help and experience! Mr.E
I hope that fixes it for you. We've seen before that cr@p from the tank tends to accumulate in the passages/fittings in the filter head and of course no-one ever thinks to look at them when they are replacing the filter element.