Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

$25k budget, looking for suggestions.

ToyLC ยท 2017-12-21 00:07

Hi all, New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I own 40 acres, mostly hardwoods and had a lot of straight line wind damage 1.5 yrs ago. I still have a lot of trees to clear on trails, put into logs and stack,etc. plus I'd like to clear a 1/2 acre for a shop. I'm trying to balance size in the woods with enough power/force to push the smaller trees and dig most of the stumps, and ideally load into dump truck. From research, I think, I'm looking for a 10k to 20k weight machine with blade and hydraulic thumb, 72 to 96" wide. I realize that the smaller end will mean more work/time and I'm ok with that...but I do need to be able to do the job and my budget, ideally, is up to a max around $25k. I may be interested in resale in 12 months, so I'm interested in what has a reasonable resale. Looking at lots of machines, from kubota kx 40-45 series, Jd 50d, yanmar, ihi, marketing is all over the map so thoughts from experienced owners/operators is greatly appreciated. I'm not interested in hiring out as I believe I can do it, and have fun with it as well as learn a new skill over time. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions anyone has on a good machine. Brad

Replies31
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-12-21 05:01

    I applaud you for having "a plan".. You know what your budget is.. you know what you want/need to do w/ the machine. & you have an idea of what type of machine your looking for.. Now start looking at machine SPECS.. HP, lifting capabilities & such & write them down.. That way when you narrow it down, you have the info "in hand".. How about renting some machines to, try-it before you buy-it..??

  2. #2rmllarue912017-12-23 12:35

    Hey toylc got an idea that might not change your mind but just something to think about in my neck of the woods there's lots of 490d's e's that can be had for fair coin a machine this size opens ups lots of parts options that small machines don't have and you can work machine very lightly and get more work done. I would love to own a 5 tonner but they usually bring good money and they are expensive to repair best of luck either way and we would love to see pics of machine and work

  3. #3Bls repair2017-12-23 17:49

    One thing I notice about the mini track hoes that have blades is that people think they have a dozer. They are not ment to push truck loads of dirt or push over trees.they are for smoothing up after you back back fill a hole.

  4. #4Junkyard2017-12-23 20:05

    Around here older larger machines are cheap due to the cost of moving and ownership costs when used day in and day out. In your case I assume it'll be hauled in, worked and then hauled out when sold. I've seen several decent looking machines here in the 30 ton size worth the money and within your budget. I'd assume it's the same in your area.

  5. #5td25c2017-12-23 23:13

    For the type of work described I prefer a dozer . Playing in the woods with trees , building roads & clearing off a site for a shop is Dozer work . Spotted this Cat D7E in NC for sale in the price range . https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/10153079/1965-cat-d7e Can also find some Cat 953 " high lift " dozers pretty close to the price range . https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/21818843/1990-cat-953-lgp

  6. #6Junkyard2017-12-23 23:47

    I agree on the dozer. A hoe looks easier from the outside looking in. However, I think there's more work done per hour with a dozer. Too easy to spend extra time farting around with piddly stuff because you can see it. Plus I've seen quite a few windows busted out because the operator isn't thinking about which way they're swinging with a tree pinched between bucket and dipper. Out of nowhere you $hitwhip yourself and the cab with it. I used to clear the fence lines and whatnot of the reclaims we did so I could have the good trees for firewood. After using both I decided I liked a dozer better. I could often push the whole tree over and find the sweet spot to shove it down to my landing. Many times I'd limb it on the way there Another plus for the dozer is simplicity. No complex hydraulics, wimpy undercarriage, lots of glass, exposed hydraulic lines yada yada. A dozer will also move from point to point faster. And for the final nail in the hoe coffin....I've yet to hear a hoe workin that sounded as mean as an older Cat or International dozer grunting it out.

  7. #7td25c2017-12-24 00:10

    Something else to consider for a rural property owner that wants one machine for the task ..... A 4x4 skip loader ........ Has a heavy built loader and 3 point hitch & PTO for attachments . Buddy has a Ford 545 similar to this one . https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/22779653/1990-ford-545c I tell ya what ...... Pound for pound that rig really performs !

  8. #8200lc12017-12-24 00:36

    I'd second td25c's suggestion and up it to a 4x4 backhoe. Depends on what you really want to do, but a backhoe is useable for many things. Love my old backhoe and love my old 200 excavator, depends on your overall plan and terrain. My 2 pennies

  9. #9ToyLC2017-12-24 02:23

    Hey guys, really appreciate the responses. My concern with both dozer and much larger excavator is sheer size. When clearing trails, these were already established, now have 20-30 trees across them from the storm, so I'll be cutting to logs and stacking. Burning or hauling out stumps and branches. I am considering the 10ton machines. As mentioned above by junkyard, I don't plan to haul it around much once onsite, if I need to move it, I'll hire it out as it will be infrequent. I burn an outdoor wood furnace, so lots of log work/stacking with the downed trees. Most of my trees are 50-75' tall that are down or that I'll clear on 1/3 to 1/2 acre for shop.

  10. #10ToyLC2017-12-24 02:26

    I'll take a look at the backhoe suggestion as well, my terrain is sloped from 900 ft at the top of the property to 600 ft on the low side, all mature hardwood for the most part.

  11. #11terex herder2017-12-24 08:00

    For a general purpose, one machine has to do everything application I will agree with the 4x4 loader backhoe. Another good feature on the backhoe is it has a reasonable road speed and can drive 10-20 miles faster than it can be hauled.

  12. #12Twisted2017-12-24 11:02

    12 ton excavator. You mention a lot of lifting and you can't lift with a dozer. A TLB is useful but the capacities drop if you lift the outriggers. 40 acres is a small area so travel time is a non-issue. A dozer will do some parts of this project faster but an excavator can do it all. I always like to bring the right tool for the job but sometimes I'm limited to one choice. I'll grab my 20 ton hoe every time when working trees and stumps unless I'm clearing larger acreage or pushing a thin brushy fence line into a pile. Find a good operator or mechanic to help you with the inspection of any used machines. They might save you thousands.

  13. #13Jonas3022017-12-24 13:39

    When your looking for high resale value its a Cat also why you wont find a good cat in your budget As long as we are tossing out ideas and you didn't say if you had any support equipment I would buy and keep a rubber tire skid steer with over the tire steel tracks, grapple and forks you would do most of the work carrying trees up stacking wood ect then can rent a 15ton hoe for a month around $5000 to clean up the stumps and anything that's to big The problem with buying a used excavator hoping to recoup your money in resale with no paying jobs to do is its a gamble you might get lucky and only have to put a few hoses on or the pumps might shell out a week into the job

  14. #14Twisted2017-12-24 16:39

    ^^^That is an excellent plan as well.^^^

  15. #15rmllarue912017-12-24 16:51

    Hey toy what ever you get I thinks there's lots of us on here that can sit in the seat for you lol I think this is turning in to a Christmas wish list haha

  16. #16Junkyard2017-12-24 17:17

    Truth be told most of are jealous he's got land to clear and actual $$ for his toy! Uh I mean equipment. I'm stuck in the college zone soon to be another driver in the house and another a year after her! There are several ways to accomplish your tasks. I don't know that any of them are bad or wrong. A thought occurred to me. Several years ago I rented a nice dozer for some work I needed to do. It was essentially his payment as he was overextended and trying to hold on. The few months I rented it gave him a little breathing room and he's been growing ever since. I will say this, based on my years around various types of yellow iron and trucks seldom does it pencil out to buy, work and resell ending up in a positive position money wise. I get wanting to do it yourself but I can't help but think you could pay somebody for the heavy work, buy a good TLB and have a little scratch left over. Once the big stuff is done the TLB will more than keep the place up. The older I get the less ambitious I am haha. You could be like me though, I buy stuff all the time. Usually a basket case, somehow I manage to find time to fix, use and resell. Lifetime I'm ahead but I could say how much!

  17. #17td25c2017-12-25 00:05

    Our terrain lays about the same . Hills & hollers with some steep grades in places . Sounds like allot of the work clearing the trails & cleaning up after the storm is mostly chainsaw cutting to lengths and skidding the logs away with a piece of equipment . On the storm damaged trees leave the stumps in place & let Mother Nature take of them unless they are in the way . Cut off the log & drag it in for firewood or sawmill . Feller with a chainsaw & farm tractor can take care of this type of job . Cut them off the stump & drag them in . We call it " cuttin firewood " I may be missing something on this job but would not send an excavator ? Chainsaw , tractor / dozer ......

  18. #18hvy 1ton2017-12-25 00:45

    Like TD says, my dad and I have done a lot of logging (as a hobby) with chainsaws and a small dozer. 10-12 ton excavator would be handy for clearing and dealing with blowdown, but it isn't possible to shovel logs out of standing timber without a rotating grapple.

  19. #19joispoi2017-12-25 11:49

    Since you've already got a budget in mind, it's really going to come down to what's for sale in your area. There are a number of ways to get a job done. Do you already own any equipment, tractors or trucks?

  20. #20GLD700K2017-12-25 15:44

    Not to sound smart, but why not just hire it done for about half of that budget and be done with it . One thing to highly consider is one break down with these machines can cost dearly!! Good luck

  21. #21td25c2017-12-25 19:48

    Some pretty cool ideas & machines from other HEF members for cuttin firewood . Metsaman and his forest trailer behind the Massey 4x4 tractor . HeavyEquipmentForums old-iron-habit uses an " Iron Mule " forwarder / skidder ". Interesting piece of equipment ahead of it's time . Uses a Ford tractor engine & drivetrain . Pretty cool unit ! http://www.lumbermenonline.com/find-for-sale/Iron-Mule-Forwarder?class=Logging&category=Forwarder&manufacturer=Iron Mule&makeid=1268 Now if ya get old - iron - habit to do the job tell him to slow down in the curves ...... He's all about production & getting the most out of the machine

  22. #22CM19952017-12-25 20:35

    If I had only one machine in which to make a living it would be a 953 trackloader. If I lived in the Southeast where track loaders are abundant and had a 25k budget for the work you describe, I would look at a 953. There is a learning curve in order to get all a 953 can offer but it's a jack of all trades.

  23. #23check2017-12-25 21:35

    Finding a 5 to 10 ton excavator with both a thumb and a blade might be a tall order to fill. Only a small percentage of older hoes have both. Sounds like you really need the thumb.

  24. #24White Excavating2017-12-26 22:32

    I fully agree with what CM1995 had said. You can find many nice 953's for 20 to 25 $ range and its by far one of the most versatile machines in the woods. If you going to do any land clearing that's the first and only machine I would buy. Also the resale on 953 with be good. Watch for transmission problems when buying one as to rebuild it would be a lot, I think in the 12-15 range.

  25. #25ToyLC2017-12-27 11:24

    Hi all, Just wanted to say belated Merry Christmas to everyone. Thanks you for all of the feedback, sincerely appreciate your taking the time. I don't plan to clear any land myself outside of the .4 to .5 acres for my workshop. The majority of work will be storm damage tree cleanup in mostly red/white oak forest with a few poplar and hickory throughout. So I'll need maneuverability and some precision which is why I thought initially if a smaller footprint excavator. After reading all of the responses, researching more, etc. I've bumped my budget allowance up to ~35k. Even taking my time on a 9-12k excavator, I'm wondering if it can really handle the standing trees size to dig out and push over. I do want to do it myself or try and if I take a few thousand loss on resale in a6-12 months that's still much cheaper than hiring it out. Thanks again everyone, hope you all have a happy new year!

  26. #26mitch5042017-12-27 12:03

    One thing nobody has mentioned, is the work you are describing can be dangerous to man and machine. A friend of mine who was a very experienced landclearing contractor with over 20 yrs in a trackhoe seat was taking down a mature hardwood and it split. He was running a 20 ton hoe and it knocked the cab clean off, folding him up, knees-to-chest. He was very lucky, when they cut the tree off the cab and the cab apart, he was found to only have a broken back and crushed hand. Much more common is damage to the hoe. If you are holding a tree with a bucket and thumb and one end is still attached, or hits something, you will either twist the stick, or break something. It is very common to do lesser but very expensive damage to hoes in the woods.

  27. #27Knivens8942017-12-27 15:36

    ToyLC: I am a retired engineer with a farm similar in size to yours. I have two tractors with front end loaders, one two wheel drive the other a 4 wheel drive, a JD 490E Excavator (which I would not recommend to anyone, the first generation computer controls are a PITA) and a JD 644 loader. The ownership of heavy hydraulic equipment is very expensive maintenance wise. Something is always breaking, leaking, wearing out or just plain failing. I have owned other equipment like a new CAT TH-83 telescopic boom, and multiple 4 WD backhoes. Heavy equipment in the price range you are seeking for the service in my honest opinion I would not recommend. You will invest more in time and money than you will ever recover on resale. The most versatile, reliable and useful machines for your purposes in my opinion would be a good 4 wheel drive backhoe, a good long chain and two good chainsaws. Cut the tress off at the stump and drag them out with the hoe bucket and chain, then cut them to size and transport them to storage in the front bucket. The front bucket will also be useful for stacking and pushing debris piles. Many dealers offer a lease or rent to own with a minimum 1 year term. They can be rented monthly with the option to convert to a lease to own later, applying the rent to the purchase price, or simply have the machine picked up. Lease payments are normally significantly less than rentals. Backhoe's in my experience require little other than ordinary maintenance. Heavy hydraulics and track systems can cost 10's of thousands with one breakdown.

  28. #28ToyLC2017-12-29 01:40

    Thanks again all. I've looked at backhoe's and they are just too long to move around in the woods and would also be too wide for many of the atv trails. I'm wishing I was retired, used to be network engineer, now just manage a bunch of very talented folks. I'm going to get a demo Bobcat E42 dropped of in the next week or 2 to try out before committing this much $, that should inform me a fair amount.

  29. #29thepumpguysc2017-12-29 03:27

    If you decide to get a Bcat or similar multi-function machine, have a look at the "rotary" cutting attachment. I cant think of the correct name for it at the moment but it knocks down small trees & shrubs & mulches them back into the soil.. They are excellent for cutting trails, where you would leave LARGE trees & just work around them..

  30. #30ToyLC2018-02-25 10:18

    Hi all, Ended up spending a bit more and bought a Takeuchi TB250 cab with 1200 hrs on it. Should be delivered in the next week. Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it.

  31. #31rmllarue912018-02-25 15:43

    Good deal please post pics and address so we can ( test drive ) to make sure you got a quality machine. But seriously best of luck that's a good machine most people like them. I rebuilt a yanmar motor in tl130 was impressed with whole machine. I like them way more than bobcat.