Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

262 vs 262B

dmaxpower · 2009-07-06 00:46

I want to buy a skid steer to do some landscaping around my home and shop. I've likely got close to 100 hours to do and I figured I would buy and resell later. I've been looking at 2 units. Both in average shape. First what is the difference between a 262 and a 262B both 2005 models? #1 is a 262 with Cab, A/C, Heat, inside bucket detach. 1800hrs used by a landscaper. Needs 2 tires. includes 72" tooth bucket (which I need) $15,500 #2 is a 262B no cab, has McLaren tires but they are probably only 20% left. 780 hours. Includes grapple bucket which I would have to sell. Not a lot of extras. $14,000. Which would you buy and why?

Replies7
  1. #1MXZ2009-07-06 13:05

    If you're planning to sell it, would think in your neck of the woods, cab/heat would be a great investment in terms of resale value. Same goes for the power QT. If you were to need tires, replacing the McLaren's will set you back some serious cash or even a set of rims/pneunmatics will be spendy. For resale, a set of shot solid tires is a big turnoff in my book.

  2. #2joispoi2009-07-07 07:51

    Get the machine with the cab. If you buy one without a cab, you´re going to have to wait until another sucker comes along to take it off your hands. Both machines are 2005 models. The one with the cab has more hours on it because it can be used more days out of the year. Do not overlook the value of operator comfort both for yourself and from the perspective of the next buyer who would take it off your hands. Besides, you need a cab to keep your NOS bottle from being exposed to the elements.

  3. #3KSSS2009-07-08 20:50

    Right on, I used to be cheap and order machines without cabs, lucky I get smarter as I get older (mostly).

  4. #4BruceJ2009-07-11 00:31

    On a similar note...i have a 262B and may fit cab to it.Is it easy to do??? I assume just bolt windows and hinge door??? I live in subtropics so could do with AC, not cold enough to have heat although some mornings here can be frosty. But nothing like what climates some of you folk live at. Any ideas where i could get the gear from??? Would be willing to import as most SS parts can be big $$$ here. Thanks Dont mean to hijack dmax.

  5. #5Squizzy246B2009-07-11 06:07

    Its relatively easy to get a window mob to make and fit the side windows. The front door comes complete from cat and is easy to fit. The A/C is a big problem and aftermarket kit for my 246B was same cost as a trade on a brand spankers 248B with the works so I traded.

  6. #6BruceJ2009-07-12 18:04

    Thanks for the info Squizzy!!

  7. #7bonanno232009-07-19 07:48

    Have you considered renting from a dealership. I know our Cat dealer isn't selling much right now. you could probably get a got rate on a long term rental and not have to worry about reselling later