My oil light came on the other day on my 277b only when it was at idle. When i throttle it up it goes away. I has been doing this for a few days. I checked the oil to make sure it had enough oil and it was fine. should i be worried. any suggestions
Sounds like it probably would be the oil pressure sender/sensor but if it was me I would check oil pressure with a mechanical gage to be sure before I purchased the sender. Not uncommon for the relief valve in the oil pump to stick open which will give you a low oil pressure reading at low idle depending on wear in the engine and flow/speed of the pump. A mechanical gage check will give you more info.
One more thing, the oil filter is downstream of the pump but I believe upstream of the sender. Has it been a long time since the engine was serviced? Maybe the filter is becoming restricted?
I would check to see if there is fuel in the oil also! How many hours are on the unit and how many since the last oil /filter change?
there is about 2000 hours on the machine machine was serviced a few months ago but hardly any hours have put on the machine since it was serviced
i plan on checking the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. where is the best place to hook one up and what should the readings be?
I would find the sender, remove it and put a mechanical gage in and check when warm. Then you would know.
When you remove the sender screw the guage in the hole. I dont have the specs for the perkins in your unit but I would hope to see 15psi or better at an idle when hot and 35-40psi at goverened speed.
44 to 73 psi at 1500 rpm 15 psi at idle
Those numbers look right
As well as xcmark mentioned, beware of fuel dilution in the engine oil as well. This can be easy to tell if the engine all of a sudden starts to make oil.
i kinda of concerned with the fuel in the engine oil. I checked the oil yesterday and it was more than was in it before I believe. What is the best way to confirm fuel in the oil and what could cause this What should I do next?
Sometimes you can smell it in the oil. The best way I know to be sure is take a sample and have it checked for fuel dilution at an oil lab. Might cost you a few bucks but then you know for sure.
I have had some luck with putting a drop of used engine oil on a piece of white paper and let it sit for a few hours. the black oil leaves one distinct mark and the fuel will travel slightly more and leave a yellow ring around the black oil. see if that works .
result? What did you end up finding out? having the same problem with my 277b, thought the oil filter must be clogged but replaced it and did a tune up and there was no change.
here is one for you guys on my 277b none of the warning lights work i bought it like this it had a few other problems there now fixed this problem is all that is left did i say this machine sat for a while
Could anyone tell me where the sensor is? I've spent longer looking than I'd like to admit and I just can't find the thing. While I'm here, I might as well ask about the warning beeper. Is there a wire on the warning light panel where the beeper comes from that I can cut to disable the beeper? I can see the lights just fine and I don't need to hear that awful beep ever again.
dont know how this process works just got registered but was wondering if anyone has ever seen loader arms starting to spread open on cat 277b or other cat skidsteers where the end of the lift cylinder is attatched to the arm directly under cat sticker . I am looking to buy and 2 out 4 have this problem that ive tried out and owner is always surprised when showed.I own a 236b that was purchesed new and never looked till now but mine is still plum.
I'm having the same problem with my 287B. When I start mine it's good but as it warms up the light and buzzer come on at idle and then at higher and higher rpms. The sender is in behind the fuel pump, but I checked the pressure at the oil sample port, because the sender is a bad spot. I had 25psi at idle with the light and buzzer on, and 57psi at wot. Now should I just relace the sender, or should I check the pressure at the sender port? My machine has 3100 hrs and I just did a service, the problem was there before I serviced it.
I have these exact symptoms. what did you end up finding?
I had a similar problem with my 246 after I washed the engine. Went away after a few days when it dried out.
checked the oil pressure tonight on my 277b. checked at the oil sample port on the left side of the engine. 30PSI at warm idle, 60PSI at full operating speed.