Hi, Can anyone offer any advice as to what I have going on here. I know my post is quite the read but just trying to pass along all the info I have. It’s a 2007 model 277C Cat skid steer This machine was at the Cat dealer less than a year ago due to an oil cooler leak on passengers side toward the front of the engine. Dealer also replaced the hydraulic cooling fan facing the radiator. It had started to leak hydraulic fluid which in turn was causing a real mess. To give the whole story My issues began a little more than a year ago after I suppose was the engine overheated. There were no panel alarms for it overheating but my coolant reservoir either melted a hole in it from over heating or was already frail, or ( could be in relation to #3 I have listed below ?) Apparently my temp sensor was bad. however I smelled the coolant and stopped to check the machine or it would have eventually locked the engine up I suppose.But Since then: 1- I replaced reservoir, replaced thermostat , replaced temperature sensor. 2- It sprung the oil cooler leak and fan motor leak mentioned above so off to the dealership 3- My reservoir now builds pressure pushing some coolant out of reservoir onto the fan shroud ?? 4- Flushed radiator and installed new 13lb radiator cap. 5- Still having pressure/coolant being pushed from reservoir onto shroud BUT not as bad. 6- Talked with dealer and was told there suppose to build some pressure thus a 13lb radiator cap.By the way, reservoir is not hot to the touch just pressure ? ( On cold days when cab heat is needed it will be warm, then go cool then warm and back cool ) 7- Then a couple weeks ago my panel “ Driver Alert “ caution light was blinking ( No alarms beeping just flashing but once I idle maybe 100 rpm’s it goes out ?? 8- Lastly, this issue concerns me and it is the “ Driver Alert “yellow caution exclamation light along with a RED EXCLAMATION “ Engine Alert “ caution lights up and beeping after operating for maybe 5 -10 minutes ? I can stop, let idle or not sure how but it will quit alarming but then start again If I resume trying to move the machine. I have posted pictures of my alerts and how they read. Sorry for the long read but Would anyone have suggestions to what’s going on here please ? I am at a loss. Just hoping it’s not engine failure ! Serial # JWF01878 I have since removed the air filter box and began looking for the Oil Pressure Switch but cannot find. ? Where is this thing ? Thank You !
Pressure in reservoir is usually a sign of head gasket leaking combustion gas. When eng is warm, shut it down, and look for bubbles in reservoir.
Yes, it’s bubbling in the reservoir. I just started it after cleaning and checking a few things. Idled for about 8-10 minutes and temp is fine but bubbling in reservoir
Well, good news is your engine isn’t destroyed. But you have to do the head gasket. Check your oil for any signs of antifreeze contamination(whitish milky), just to be sure it’s ok. May I recommend, to you, that if and when you do it, spend a few extra dollars, and have the head pressure checked for cracks, as well have the surface checked for straitness, both are crucial in preventing leaks, and is good industry practice.
Is it also possible that due to the head gasket leaking and allowing that pressure to build it is tricking my sensors into thinking it is a temperature problem therefore that’s why I’m getting the two alerts on my panel that I mentioned above?
No, my oil seems to be free of any of those substances. Also, my oil filler cap doesn’t have anything white like the foam I would expect if it were coolant inside the oil.
I would imagine yes. Definitely the temp blowing hot and cold is a dead give away. You have air in a system that's made for water. Do not operate until it is fixed
Thanks All ! I have a Cat Mechanic coming next week to check out everything and get started replacing my head gasket then pressure test the head etc. Appreciate you all !!!
If he’s anything like a half-decent mechanic the first thing he will want to do is pressure-test the cooling system with coolant still in it before he lays a wrench on the machine.
UPDATE - After pressure testing, the head was removed and sure enough. I have a leaking head gasket. See picture of how it looked. Thanks for help and sending me in the right direction.
Hello Sepm, I have a 299C that is mirroring the issues that you described. When you replaced the head gasket, did you have to pull the engine from the machine or were you able to do the repair in place?
I have adjusted valves on one of these units, can't imagine pulling engine out. But yes there is lots to take apart. Good to get some good photos before and during disassembly. Good to do a pressure test as Nige mentioned in post # 9 above. Lots of little details to get correct. It was a 279C that I worked on 3 times, but most can be done in machine. Simon C
Simon C, thanks for your response