Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

279C2 Won’t Start

Danny L. Thomas ยท 2019-08-24 13:10

279C2 KWB00715. I've been clearing mesquite in one of my pastures and last used the loader a week ago. Started and ran fine, parked it until I needed it this morning. Cranked the engine and it usually starts after turning over two or three times. It acts like it's not getting any fuel. It did this once before and I noticed some water in the separator bowl on the bottom of the fuel filter. I drained it, reprimed the bowl and it started right up. Today, I drained the bowl but went ahead and pulled it off and gave it a good cleaning. Reinstalled it and let the electric fuel pump prime the system till the bowl was full of clean fuel. Tried to start it and same thing. When turning over, it will sometimes blow white smoke from the exhaust and sometimes it blows nothing. Caterpillar dealer service is closed on Saturday so I can't get ahold of them til Monday. Any ideas what's up with this thing? I really need to get some raking done and would rather not pay Cat to come out and do something I might be able to find out on here. Really don't have an extra thousand for service right now. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies33
  1. #1Danny L. Thomas2019-08-24 14:34

    Forgot to mention that on the 267 I owned before the 279, the fuel solenoid went bad and I had to replace it. The machine acted a lot like this one is but I haven't checked the solenoid or fuse to the solenoid yet. I will get back to it when it's a little cooler. Any other thoughts?

  2. #2Danny L. Thomas2019-08-26 13:41

    Never mind. I got it.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-08-30 20:30

    Well, don't keep us in suspense, what was it?

  4. #4Danny L. Thomas2019-08-31 08:54

    I checked the fuse which was good and feared the worst. I noticed one of the bank of relays stuck out a little farther than the rest. I checked the schematic and it was the fuel stop relay. I moved it from side to side and pushed it in to make sure it was seated correctly. I hit the key, turned over once and started. Cheap fixes don't happen often for me, I was thrilled.

  5. #5Nige2019-08-31 11:42

    So the schematic saved your bacon again.? How many times is that now.? Did you happen to pull the relay and look at the condition/cleanliness of the contacts in the relay panel.?

  6. #6Danny L. Thomas2019-08-31 16:25

    I did not. When it started up, I went ahead and did some work to charge the battery back up. If it ever falters again, I know where to start. This is the first electrical problem I have had with the 279C2. The schematic you sent me for my 304C CR helped and I appreciate you ending it to me.

  7. #7Nige2019-08-31 16:29

    Sorry, I was getting confused between the two machines. If you want a schematic for the 279C just drop me a PM with your email address. I've got the S/No from your OP.

  8. #8Danny L. Thomas2019-10-07 16:06

    Well, the machine wouldn't start this morning. Doing the same thing it did before so I started checking fuses, relays and the like as before but no joy. Still trying to figure out what's causing this. It started and ran fine Saturday morning. I parked it when done and this morning it wouldn't start. It just acts like it's not getting any fuel. I came to grab a multimeter and am going back now to make sure the solenoid is energized when the key is on. Trying to find an alternative to the Caterpillar part which is priced at $300. I found an aftermarket part for my old 267 but so far nothing any cheaper for the 279C2.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2019-10-07 20:08

    What kinda inj. pump is it.?? Mechanical Bosch pump or an heui.. If its just a Bosch VE pump, those solenoids can be found CHEAP if u know what your looking for.

  10. #10still learn'n2019-10-07 21:52

    We have changed electric fuel pump several times on our 299D. I don't know if your machine would be the same or not.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2019-10-08 05:19

    Yes, def. check the electr. pump fuel output.. IF your inj. pump IS a VE.. the output pressure should be no more than 10psi.. & not less than 5 psi..

  12. #12Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 08:50

    I'm not sure what brand the pump is. I went back and checked the circuit and am getting the correct voltage to the solenoid. I even jumpered it and could hear and feel the solenoid click. This helps me rule out relays and fuses. I had drained the sediment bowl on the seperator and the pump pressured it back up with clean fuel so I am assuming it is okay. I'll go back to work on it this morning. I may pull the solenoid and make sure the plunger is operating correctly. I got tired and frustrated yesterday so I just gave up and went hog hunting.

  13. #13thepumpguysc2019-10-08 10:40

    Theres no sense in taking it out.. if u hear it.. its working.. Kill'n stuff makes me feel better too.. ..& folks ask me why all these houses on my street are "for sale".?? I just tell'm, "the owner died suddenly"..Lol

  14. #14thepumpguysc2019-10-08 10:47

    On that Bosch VE pump.. there might be an emergency MANUAL STOP LEVER on the side of the pump.?? THIS is gonna take 2 people to do this next "trick".. Loosen ALL the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS.. or as many u can get to.. the more the merrier .. While someone cranks the engine.. pull back on that lever slowly... do THAT a couple of times.. & watch the loosened lines at the injectors & hope that theres fuel squirting out.. This is just for/if its a bosch ve pump.. good luck.

  15. #15Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 10:49

    The pump is Zexel. Guess I'll be calling the Cat dealer.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2019-10-08 10:56

    NO.. Zexel bought the license FROM BOSCH.. its the same difference.. Is it an inline pump or rotary pump.. Take a friggin picture.. An inline pump has the steel lines from the pump TO the injectors in a straight line coming off the TOP of the pump.. A rotary has them coming off THE BACK of the pump in a circle..

  17. #17Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 11:01

    I'm heading back over to the pasture, I'll get a picture. It is going to be the inline I think, IIRC the injector lines come off the top.

  18. #18thepumpguysc2019-10-08 11:13

    See if it has a removable side cover too.. 2- 10mm bolts If u get that pic posted, I can walk u thru the diagnostics..

  19. #19thepumpguysc2019-10-08 11:15

    I gotta hang Halloween lites so I'll be in & out..

  20. #20Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 11:16

    Thanks for the help, I'll make a run and post the pic.

  21. #21Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 12:18

    Apparently I didn't remember correctly. The lines to the injectors come off the back of the pump.

  22. #22thepumpguysc2019-10-08 16:42

    That gizmo on top is NOT the shut off solenoid.. The s/o sol. is directly behind it.. with a rubber cover over it.. THE 1ST THING U NEED TO DO is get some brake kleen & wash that pump off.. Then test the s/o solenoid & then loosen the fuel inlet banjo bolt on the front & SEE if the supply pump is pushing fuel TO the inj. pump.. The big solenoid on the TOP is for cold start..{advances or retards the timing} I tell u to loosen the lines AT the injectors because theres a big chance of loosening up the connector the lines are attached to.. BUT if u use the double wrench method you should be ok.. You'll be able to tell FASTER if it starts pumping, if u take the lines loose at THE PUMP.. Either way, once it starts pumping, u have to loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS to bleed the air anyway..

  23. #23Danny L. Thomas2019-10-08 17:01

    Thanks, I'll see what I can do when I can find someone to help me. I know it looks filthy but that is dust. I am clearing some mesquite pasture and it's terrible dry and dusty here. So the part with the green rubber cap in the picture is not the fuel shutoff? I will have to look at it again tomorrow and see if I can find what you are talking about. Thanks again.

  24. #24thepumpguysc2019-10-08 20:59

    The s/o sol. is between the green cap sol.. & the steel lines coming off the back of the pump.. it has a black rubber cap on it.. just wiggle it back to get your meter or your ear back there.. U can UNPLUG the green capped one & then listen for the "click" of the actual s/o sol.. Can u get a WIDE shot of the whole side of the pump.?? I need to SEE if it has a manual s/o lever.. thanks

  25. #25Danny L. Thomas2019-10-09 07:01

    I'll check the s/o solenoid this morning and try to get a better side pic.

  26. #26Danny L. Thomas2019-10-09 10:00

    Okay, pumpguy, I found the s/o solenoid. I checked, no voltage. I jumpered the solenoid and felt it click. I jumpered it again and hit the starter and the machine kicked right off. The fuse tested good and I swapped the relay and still no voltage. Now I gotta figure out where else in the circuit there is a safety switch or break in the wire. Thanks for the help.

  27. #27thepumpguysc2019-10-09 11:34

    "THANKS" my azz.. pay pal is open.. Lol.. Yeah, there "could be" {probably} some safety switches somewhere.. Gear selector, oil, heat, even seatbelt.. door latch.??

  28. #28Taz052019-10-21 16:22

    Wow thanks guys. I will be applying this knowledge myself today when I get home. My CAT 267B will not start without me having to spray starter fluid in the air intake. Once I spray the air inlet the machine starts right up and will run as long as I do not throttle down, but it bogs down and loses power on every movement and stalls out.

  29. #29thepumpguysc2019-10-21 17:22

    Do u have any smoke while running?? is it heavy??

  30. #30Taz052019-10-21 17:29

    no smoke after the starter fluid and start up. then blows clean.

  31. #31thepumpguysc2019-10-22 08:00

    Taz.. look around for a supply pump.. OR just loosen the INLET LINE going into the inj. pump.. The inlet is the one at the FRONT of the inj. pump.. Once its loose, have someone spin it over & check that line to MAKE SURE the supply pump is actually PUSHING FUEL into the inj. pump.. If it dies at the low speeds, either the supply pump isn't working or u have some serious contamination inside the inj. pump.. ALSO, check EVERY connection elbow at the filter head.. they collect dirt & sticks like u wouldn't believe.. Good luck

  32. #32Taz052019-10-22 11:17

    i will have to take a picture as i am unsure what the 2 main bolts do under the priming pump. Can i remove these and clean the housing as well? Or are these spring loaded?

  33. #33Taz052019-10-22 11:28

    The two bolts facing the back.