Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang MTL20 issues

RedGapFarm · 2019-08-22 19:46

Hello, I'm new to CTLs and recently bought a 2007 Mustang MTL20. The machine has about 3300 hours, and came from a local farm that I believe had owned it since it was new. I bought it used and didn't expect it to be perfect. The first issue we had turned out to be two bad relays. The machine would run, but not operate in any capacity. Replaced two relays and it's operating normally now. Second issue came up today... After operating it for about 2 hours it's leaking a significant amount of hydraulic fluid (10W30 engine oil) from the right track. I'll include a picture. Does anyone have any thoughts about where it might be coming from. It's tough to tell just looking at the oil on the track.

Replies19
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-08-22 20:40

    Might be a track motor seal, or a line to it. Hard to tell from the pic. Basically, follow the leak upstream, and see where its coming from... Oh, welcome to the forum!

  2. #2RedGapFarm2019-08-22 21:49

    Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to do that as soon as possible. On a different note, does anyone have the service manual and operators manual for this machine on digits? It's almost identical to the Takeuchi TL140 and the Gehl CTL 70 so those would be helpful as well.

  3. #3heymccall2019-08-22 21:51

    On high mounted final drives, toric (duocone) seal failures are rare. The toric seal is precision metal on metal and keeps the gear oil from falling out. Most likely a hose or fitting is damaged or loose. I got these from a Takeuchi TL140 parts manual, as, apparently, Mustang doesn't want customers to look up their own parts, without paying for a book. IIRC, that machine is essentially a Takeuchi TL140 that has been lightly modified to Mustang's liking (rear door, color, no online manuals to be easily found).

  4. #4heymccall2019-08-22 21:54

    TL140 parts manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2OyF-UCv8TxsG5sVtVfecX

  5. #5RedGapFarm2019-08-22 21:57

    On high mounted final drives, toric (duocone) seal failures are rare. The toric seal is precision metal on metal and keeps the gear oil from falling out. Most likely a hose or fitting is damaged or loose. I got these from a Takeuchi TL140 parts manual, as, apparently, Mustang doesn't want customers to look up their own parts, without paying for a book. IIRC, that machine is essentially a Takeuchi TL140 that has been lightly modified to Mustang's liking (rear door, color, no online manuals to be easily found).[/QUOTE] Thanks! This looks like the exact diagram I needed. I have a Gehl CT60-80 operators manual that my dad found online. It says that the hoses to the "travel motor" should be replaced every 2 years. Considering how dirty this thing was when I got it, I doubt that has happened. Do you recommend changing the hydraulic hoses to the final drive frequently? Do you have experience with this?

  6. #6heymccall2019-08-22 22:04

    Hoses only changed upon failure, or when they look to failure ready. I've got 2 8k hour TL150s from the mid 2000 years, and I think I may have only changed 2 or 3 hoses on each machine. Hoses on the outside, even under a guard like the drive hoses, are more susceptible to rock, branch, and even freeze/ thaw damage. Hoses inside the machine are more prone to abrasion (10# of poop in a 5# can) or heat deterioration.

  7. #7RedGapFarm2019-08-22 22:17

    That's more great info, thanks! As far as the current leak goes... it's definitely hydraulic fluid that's leaking out. Not the heavy weight gear oil from the travel motor. Hopefully that's good?

  8. #8skata2019-08-22 23:25

    I'm guessing a leaking hose as most of the oil is to the side of the drive, and not below it. Remove the hose cover and inspect.

  9. #9RedGapFarm2019-09-12 20:54

    Thanks for all the great information. The problem was indeed a hose to the drive and the machine is now back up and working.

  10. #10RedGapFarm2019-09-12 20:57

    On a different note, Mustang sent me the service manual and the operators manual for free! If you have a Mustang loader like mine and need these manuals, follow this link: https://www.mustang-by-manitou.com/contact

  11. #11RedGapFarm2019-10-04 22:17

    I changed the drive oil today. The old stuff smelled strongly of sulphur. Any idea why that would be?

  12. #12heymccall2019-10-04 23:06

    It's a characteristic of gear oil. Only things you worry about on gear oil is milkiness or sparkliness.

  13. #13RedGapFarm2019-10-05 18:09

    Today I drained the fuel tank as called for in the operators manual. It says to do this every 50hrs. What are your thoughts? Is it necessary. Maybe a longer interval?

  14. #14skata2019-10-05 20:59

    Drain the fuel tank? You sure it doesn't just say to drain the fuel /water separator?

  15. #15RedGapFarm2019-10-05 22:32
  16. #16RedGapFarm2019-10-05 22:37

    I have a good friend who has an older ASV MTL. He has had major issues from fuel contamination and some kind of algae or bacteria in his fuel. I assumed that Tak recommends draining the tank to avoid those sorts of issues. There’s also a fuel water separator. Which needs to be drained when water is present

  17. #17skata2019-10-05 23:35

    That seems ridiculous to drain every 50 hours.

  18. #18DIYDAVE2019-10-06 06:38

    If it has a drain plug, try this: Park so plug is lowest point, lat sit for a coupla hours, to settle. LOOSEN the plug, till you can unthread by hand. continue loosening, till water wicks its way through the threads. I'd let a cup out, this way. Then tighten back up. Examine the cup of drain-out, by putting into a glass tumbler, and allowing to settle. If significant amount of water (on the bottom of tumbler), you may need to repeat. In practice, if you fill from a large tank, you'll get less water in fuel, than by filling with cans. I would use a diesel fuel conditioner, each time you fill the tank, and you prolly don't need to do the drain and check, more than once a year...

  19. #19RedGapFarm2019-10-06 22:44

    Ok, appreciate the input