First, Thank You in advance for any and all help. Got a 287B (08 IIRC). Starts, runs, turn the parking brake off via switch, light goes out. The machine will move for a couple seconds at the most problem free. After a couple seconds the parking brakes on both tracks engages, and the machine will hardly move. No lights flash or come on. You can turn the parking brake back on and then off and it will repeat. If you turn the parking brake off and do nothing yo ucan hear something either pressurizing or de-pressurizing under the cab. Faintly, but you can hear it. I checked fuses, everything looks good. I was thinking (from another thread) that the problem may be the parking brake solenoid valve (part #259-8194). Any thoughts, before replacing? Thank You,
Yes, more than likely related to the parking solenoids. Clean the connections and pull the covers off and clean them before committing to new ones.
Replaced the parking brake solenoid valve (part #259-8194) this morning. Still have the problem. Is there more than 1 parking brake solenoid?
There is only one parking brake solenoid that controls both sides Are you sure the lap bar switch is still indicating the bar is down ? - check switch connections. Do you still have loader control when the machine stops ? If so, can you move the machine with the bucket ? If not - take a good look at the lap bar / switch connections all the way back to the ECM, that may be located behind the seat on that model.
When the machine stops the loader controls still work, and the travel controls as well. It doesn't lock out the joystick, only applies the park brake. Last night, put a voltmeter to the plug that goes into the parking brake solenoid. Unplug, start machine, turn off parking brake, 13.5V Plug in, machine acts the same (parking brake on, no lights). Unplug while still running, check voltage, 0. Run a jumper from fuse panel to the parking brake solenoid (supply steady 12V) works flawless. Now I know I have wiring / switch issue, but was unable to successfully trace down the wires. I will be looking for wire diagram today, and check all safety switches.
Stumped. Sounds like the ECM is detecting something that is telling it to set the brakes, but doesn't go thru with killing the drives. Other than catastrophic causes, the lap bar, seat switch, keyswitch, and the parking brake switch itself, are the only inputs that i believe should cause it to set. You're just bypassing the ECM with the jumper wire. Haven't been able to come up with a schematic, but there should be 2 relays in the fuse box. One should be part of the brake light circuit. Check it as well for bad connections. Might also wire the brake switch to be able to see the voltage when connected, and started normally to see if it drops at some particular point.
If you want a wiring diagram for your machine please send me a PM with your Serial Number and an e-mail address (please do not post them on the thread) to which to send it and I will gladly send you a copy.
Hello, your answer would be greatly appreciated. I am having the exact same problem and have replaced the bake solenoid and still have the same problem. How did you resolve this issue?
I too would like to know. I'm having the same issue with my 277b. Replaced the coil and it's hung. Has power at the plug but when I tried to order the valve block it calls out a giant valve body with 2 coils like something used for an actual 2 way pwm aux assembly with tank, pressure, c1 and c2. Clearly not what I need. Maybe I'll just disassemble the body and put a ball bearing in the spool to hold it open so there's no brake What did you do?
Have 287B we put in new warning indicator module , switch A, Switch AS brought it to cat and they can't even figure it out they tried a ECM as well but couldn't flash the new one they said. After it sits for little while it will move sometime couple seconds and sometimes for while then the seatbelt light flashes and park comes on we have nothing. Any Ideas would be awesome
Sounds like the one I had. I ended up replacing the computer and it didn't fix it. So I used my spare solenoid and wired it to key on power from the fuse box. Left the old coil plugged into the harness so it thinks it's still attached and enables the hydraulics. It works. But I sold the unit the other day. Bought a 2017 299d2 with 1400hrs.
I bet you have a bad seal in one of the brakes so that the charge pump can't maintain the pressure when the brakes are released. Put a gauge on the test port and check, see pic for location. 267,277 and 278 are the same.
Hey have has same issue with my 287b id like couple pics of how you had yours bypassed if you would care you can email or text it me would be awsome thank you
What Per Eriksson posted 2 above is exactly what I just found on an old John Deere 280B Skid Steer. The piston seal in the wheel traction motor was leaking the brake pressure to case drain. If leaking to case drain brakes will maybe hold for only short while then come back on. If a live wire from fuse panel releases the brakes, simple wiring problem. Hope it helps. Simon C
Hi I have a cat 287b skid steer that is having park brake issues. It first started with the arm bar light staying on and the park brake light staying on even when I turned them off. Sometimes it works fine sometimes it wont move at all and you cant move the bucket controls. I checked for bad connections and broken wires and found nothing. I have replaced the arm bar switch, the park brake switch and the door switch with no luck. It still sometimes works and then quits working. The seat switch is bypassed I also replaced the pilot control solenoid. I also hear clicking sounds in both the joysticks when it quits working. Any ideas what might be causing this problem thanks
I replaced the interlock computer on mine and it fixed the issue.
Did you check the connections on the ECMs down in the footwell.? They tend to get buried in dirt and corrode when the dirt gets damp. I wouldn’t suggest just replacing the Interlock ECM without doing the necessary diagnostics to prove it was actually the cause of the problem. Doubly so in the case of an issue that comes and goes which is more likely to be an electrical connection problem somewhere.
Thanks for all the help I called the cat hot line and after talking to them, I’ve decided to get a cat serviceman to put his computer on the skid steer. instead of throwing money at solenoids and switches that didn’t fix it thanks for everyone’s advice. Much appreciated.