Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

287B right track locked up

Dustin Lonas · 2019-06-01 10:35

I have a 287b high flow xps that the right side drive motor locked up. If the machine is reved up all the way I can make it bump forward and backwards but only a couple inches both directions. Prior to this happening it ran fine but has always been sluggish. My questions is that inside of the drive motor is their anything that will just lock it up or is it the charge pump not releasing the parking brake on that side. any help would be great. thanks

Replies34
  1. #1ianjoub2019-06-01 17:25

    I'm no help, but own one and am interested in the answer in case I ever have that problem.

  2. #2Bls repair2019-06-01 21:47

    Never worked on one of these but some possibilities are breaks,control valve ,drive motor seized ,problem in planetary hub. I’m assuming that there are no visible external problems.

  3. #3Dustin Lonas2019-06-01 21:49

    Nothing external that I can find. Pulled squirrel cage off and can't find anything. If the drive motor is unhooked from all the hydraulics will it spin freely or is the break internal?

  4. #4ianjoub2019-06-01 22:05

    I just reinstalled tracks on mine. The motors would spin (both directions) even with the hydraulic lines hooked up. We used the squirrel cage and a pry bar to rotate them, machine not running at the time of course. On a side note, the machine was out of hydraulic fluid at the time, not sure if that matters.

  5. #5Dustin Lonas2019-06-01 22:09

    Thanks that helps alot. I believe I'm goanna pull the pump tomarow and open in up to see if I find anything noticable. Pulled lines and found no shavings. Hopefully the contamination stayed internal of the pump. Gotta think positive

  6. #6Bls repair2019-06-01 22:13

    Never worked on one.

  7. #7Dustin Lonas2019-06-01 22:15

    Me either. But someone put it together so I can figure out how to take it apart

  8. #8Dave Neubert2019-06-02 20:22

    Pull the drain on the planetary see if metal is in there

  9. #9Dustin Lonas2019-06-02 20:24

    We're is the drain plug at?

  10. #10Dave Neubert2019-06-02 21:20

    Look at the hub behind the sprocket [roller assy] should be on the side close to front cover

  11. #11Dustin Lonas2019-06-02 21:21

    Okay thanks. I'll take a look. Didn't get to tear it down today instead put steering box on my pickup. When it rains it pours.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2019-06-02 21:30

    It don't look like you can get the planetary separate so if there is metal parts in there you will have to buy the whole assy. with the motor 4,100.00 at Cat

  13. #13Dustin Lonas2019-06-02 21:32

    Yeah I'ma go with an aftermarket rebuild for 2600 comes with a one year warranty.

  14. #14Dave Neubert2019-06-02 21:34

    I have used them with no problems

  15. #15Dustin Lonas2019-06-02 21:36

    That's good to know. I was hopping someone would say that. I just wanna make sure it's the problem before I buy a new drive motor. Should I replace both sides or will it be okay?

  16. #16Dave Neubert2019-06-02 21:42

    Check the oil in the other side most of those planetary s use a special oil

  17. #17Dustin Lonas2019-06-02 21:43

    Okay will do.

  18. #18Dustin Lonas2019-06-08 13:45

    So an update haven't ordered a new one yet. My gauges came in and tested the charge pump and I am reading 0 at idle and 125 at full throttle. So either it's bad or I'm dumping it past something. So I guess I need to tear the other side down and see if that's the problem side. Any feed back would be great

  19. #19steve11082019-06-17 07:26

    mine did the same thng, had to replace the left hydo stat motor. works fine. might help. I have a question for you. is yours a xps. mine was broke when I bought it. now its fixed. I have no idea on how to or what toggle switches to use the hydo connections on the front. cat is no help if you could help id be great full.

  20. #20Mobiltech2019-06-17 09:26

    Serial number would be best to confirm but the 287b I know of doesn’t use a planetary . The brake is in the end of the motor. If you are losing charge pressure that is a problem but could mean a failed motor.

  21. #21ianjoub2019-06-17 09:33

    The thumb wheel gets the flow going. While holding the thumb wheel, hit the lower left (maybe lower right, I'm not sitting on the machine now) button on the left joystick, release it, and release the thumbwheel for constant flow. Thumbwheel up is one flow direction, down is the other.

  22. #22Shadow287B2021-09-07 21:07

    Hey guys, Thought I would jump on this thread. I am new to heavy equipment and have purchased what I thought was a 2006 Cat 287B. After some friends enlightened me, I actually bought a SuperTrak SK 120 TR. When I test drove it, I only drove it for 15 minutes (3 different times) and it drove fine. I should have let it warm up more, after 30 minutes, the parking brake engages back in and locks the machine down. Its a slow lock, it happens over about a 10 minute span. I actually took it to a repair man, who had it for 2.5 months. He was unable to fix it. Here is what he did to it: a. Checked charge pressure, the PSI was all over the place. He replaced the pressure relief valve and it settled at 400 psi. (When warmed up) b. He had a spare CAT pump, the same pump that is in my unit, and he put it on. Again, charge pressure settled at 400 psi ( when warmed up) c. He reinstalled my pump. d. Checked solenoid, and break valve, they are good. I am not a heavy machine mechanic, but I have been around hydraulics for a while. My personal feeling on it is I might have some blow by, somewhere in the system but I have no idea where to start looking. Again I am new to all of this so any knowledge anyone can pass on would be extremely helpful and I thank you in advance. Also, does any one have a diagram of what all the buttons in the cab do? I only know what the parking brake button, glow plug button and the high flow toggle switch do.... Newbies, geshis.

  23. #23Nige2021-09-08 09:37

    Supertrak appear to use a Cat base machine on which to build all their models. Does your machine have a 17-digit Cat Product Identification Number plate on it somewhere.? The last 8 characters are the Serial Number. It will probably be ZSA-something.

  24. #24Shadow287B2021-09-09 13:41

    I will get that after work today. Thanks

  25. #25Tags2021-09-09 18:38

    It would be behind the left lift arm kind of to the side of the lift cylinder where it comes out of the frame, and should be a black plate riveted to the frame.

  26. #26Shadow287B2021-09-09 20:27

    Nige and Tags. Thanks for the info. Attached are are the pics of the VIN and another plate. Not sure what the other plate is but I think it is an Engine and Pump call out, best guess...

  27. #27Shadow287B2021-09-09 20:32

    I have a pressure gauge set coming in tomorrow and plan on trouble shooting it this weekend. In this thread I was able to find the charge pressure test port, but that is all. What other pumps do I need to test? What PSI should the charge pressure come up to and where should it hold? Any other wisdom yall would be willing to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

  28. #28Shadow287B2021-09-12 09:05

    Here are the Pumps. I am sure the big yellow pmp is where I need to test my charge pressure. I also think the first pump, next to the engine, is the pump added but SuperTrak. Can anyone tell me what the charge pressure should come up to and what pressure it should hold?

  29. #29Shadow287B2021-09-13 19:36

    So like Dustin, my gauges came in and I tested my charge pump. Here are the readings as I fired up. I also included a picture of my charge pump. I hope I have the correct port. If not, SOMEONE please let me know. When I fired up the machine, the pressure came up to just shy of 400psi. Then I released the parking brake, pressure dropped to 275psi.

  30. #30Shadow287B2021-09-13 19:41

    Once I started to move, it dropped more. When I moved forward and backward, it dropped to 225psi. When I turned left and right it dropped to 175psi.

  31. #31Shadow287B2021-09-13 19:44

    I also tested this port, and it had 0psi, even with throttle up, it was 0psi. Can someone tell me what this port is used to check?

  32. #32Shadow287B2021-09-13 19:57

    I have found in an obscure thread that charge pressure for this machine should be 450psi.(Please do not take this setting as correct. I found this info in an obscure thread not on this site. It is from an unknow source.) So using 450psi as a base line, the pump is already weak at cold start. then it continues to drop more and more as it heats up and as it is put under pressure. So would it be a safe bet that the charge pump is fizzling out?(blowing by) Any one that could shed some light on this before I drop 4k, I would greatly appreciate. Also, if anyone has another theory, I am all ears since I do not have hydraulic schematic. Thanks!

  33. #33Mbar2021-09-20 08:02

    It sounds to me like both of these machines have internal brake / motor failure. I see a lot of worn brakes on one side and failure on the other side so it makes this a little confusing. My advice for both is put the machine up on cribbing. Disconnect and cap brake lines one at a time. Operate drive and monitor charge pressure. You may also find in this test that you have weak brakes on a drive and didn’t know it. Also while doing the test tee in a gauge on drive motor hoses and stall drive pressure against brakes or dead head the line for a moment. If all is well with pressure and drive still want move like suggested above look for planetary failure

  34. #34Shadow287B2021-09-22 06:51

    Thanks for the idea. I will try it.