Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

287B won’t move

Tulp ยท 2010-12-15 22:13

I have a 05 287 and the lights for the arm rest and the parking brake just flash when you hit the switch to shut the park brake off. I was using it the other day and it just stopped and those lights were flahing, I hit the park brake switch the lights went out and I went back to work.It started doing this more and more often and now it won't move at all. I have checked the pilot solenoids and they tested good (9.4 ohms each) The wires for them apear to be in good shape and have continuity right to the ECM I have jumped all the safety switches in the cab (door, arm rest, and seat) tonight I tested the pressures on all the test ports I could find the port on top of the track pump was 200,the ones on the sides were 490psi the ports on the main pump both stayed at 0 the port on the main valve for the boom,bucket and attachments was 420psi. I don't have any manuals so I have no idea what any of these pressures should be. I'm wondering if the imput shaft on the pump is broke or stripped since there is no pressure at those 2 test ports

Replies12
  1. #1Tulp2010-12-16 18:41

    has any one else had a this issue I've seen 2 similar posts but they never said what the out come was. any ideas would be greatly appretiated

  2. #2pbean2010-12-18 19:48

    my Cat 226 had simular problem when i figured out the plastic flex plate that conects the pump to the engine striped out there is a coupler that goes on the shaft of the pump that the bolt backed off on and caused it to slide forward on the shaft and eventualy striped out the flex plate thats not made of much but was 400$.i used a ratchet strap to hold up the pump and then losend the engine to pump bolts and slid motor out enough to see there was a problem then went ahead and took out motor but it was realy not that bad to take the motor out it just sucks that you have to do that to see if thats the problem.the 226 is set up the same way as the 257 and im sure 287 also

  3. #3Tulp2010-12-19 10:32

    thanks for the reply. I was just about to pull the engine, but I tried the hyd quick attach and it still works and it drives of the third pump so now I'm thinking maybe the ECM or someting in the cab

  4. #4pbean2010-12-19 16:34

    check for wires chaffed too maybe rubbing on cab espeacialy above hydraulic tank no a guy had this problem a couple months ago and i believe his lights were flashing to

  5. #5Tulp2010-12-20 19:22

    the harness looks good, I untied it and pulled it right out to be sure. are there any tests for the ecm or do you just replace it after you've gone through every thing else?

  6. #6Lee-online2010-12-20 19:43

    Tulp, check your email.

  7. #7Tulp2010-12-28 00:01

    thanks for the info Lee. I did all the tests twice and everything seems good, so I guess I'll order a new ecm tomorrow, i took the old one out and the bottom of the case was rotted open so maybe being exposed to moisture has shorted it out.

  8. #8Tulp2011-01-08 10:08

    got the new ecm in and it's back to work

  9. #9cat246b2011-01-16 18:57

    We are having the same problem with our 246B. Already swapped out the lat bar switch and jumped out the seat switch. Do you know what the wire numbers are for this circuit? Where is the ECM exactly. Which relay is it that pulls in the hydraulic pilot control solenoid? The problem started out as an intermittent problem, now can't seem to get it to move at all.... Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a hydraulic schematic that I could get??

  10. #10Tulp2011-01-28 16:11

    on the 287 the ecm is under the floor boards and it's the one on the left when sitting in the seat. I'll try to forward you the trouble shooting guide that Lee sent me

  11. #11Phixdo2011-02-27 11:07

    i have a 185 and it started getting worse and worse til it wont move, the 5 amp fuse in the panel keeps blowing i have been chasing wires and have found none to be chafed i have replaced the seat and seatbelt switches and still it starts fine (after putting in another 5 amp fuse) the seatbelt switch seems to works and beeps as normal when connected but when i hit the button to release the brake the fuse blows. anyone have any suggestions.

  12. #12talknfast2013-10-19 11:07

    Ive got 268b same deal would it be to much of a bother for you to fwd that to me as well?