My 289 stalled this afternoon and will not restart. Took The fuel line off at the injection pump and have fuel. I’m going to get a pressure gauge and test it and change the filter in the morning. How many psi should I have at the injection pump? what does the lever on the side of the injection pump do? Also, where is the shut off solenoid located on the injection pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks, N8t
U should has 3-5psi at the inj pump inlet.. The lever on the side could be a manual shut off OR a start fueling screw.. I need a picture. The shut off solenoid is located dead center on the back of the pump.. between the top cover and the lines going to the injectors. It’ll probably have a black boot over it with a wire coming from it.. The solenoids DO go bad.. u can diagnose the solenoid by removing it, take the spring and plunger out and screwing it back in, bypassing the electric shut off..
Hi thepumpguysc This is a picture of the side of the pump on my 289 C2 Cat skid loader. I am curious what this lever does. If it is a manual shut off, how can I use it to bypass the electric solenoid so I can see if this thing will run Also, does the electric shut off solenoid just unscrew from the back of the pump or does it have bolts holding it in? Thanks n8t
I've seen that solenoid fail before a few times. Sometimes it will start and run like crap, other times it won't start at all. A logical place to start IMO.
Cold start advance mechanism. See attached.
That lever is a fueling screw for starting.. DO NOT TOUCH IT. The solenoid just unscrews.. be careful when taking it off.. the spring and plunger will probably stick in the hole and will be captured by the sealing oring.. Just be careful pulling it out/up, it has a tendency to let go all of a sudden and the little spring goes flying..
Before u try to start it, AFTER DISABLING THE SOLENOID, loosen the low idle screw so u can back it out quickly, as that will be the only other way to shut it off.. Good luck
Good morning We put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and it will build about 7 pounds but it does not hold anything as soon as the electric pump shuts off it drops to zero Is it supposed to hold pressure to the injection pump? Thanks n8t
Only when the electric fuel pump is actually pumping will you see pressure at the FIP inlet. Under what circumstances is the pressure going to zero.? Engine stopped or running.? EDIT: If you turn the key ON and do not start the engine the electric pump will run for approximately 1 minute then stop. This is a facility for priming the fuel system after a filter change. If you turn the key to ON then to START and fire up the engine the pump should run as long as the engine is running.
I turned the key on to purge the air from the new filter and the line turn the key off installed the pressure gauge turn. The key on the pump ran for a few seconds built 7 to 8 pounds then stopped running on its own and the pressure dropped to zero Am I correct in thinking that the transfer pump needs to hold 8 pounds to the injection pump so the machine will run I can’t see the fuel pressure dropping to zero in the machine continuing to run Thanks n8t
U r correct.. when your pump stops working, the inj pump still needs fuel to run.. It has a supply pump built into it to raise the low pressure to hi press but it’s not made to pull the fuel from the tank.. If the fuel tank is ABOVE the injection pump, gravity pressure is good enough to feed the inj pump.. U need a constant 3-5 psi feeding the inj pump..
I think you missed the point Nige was making. If you turn the key on but don’t start the engine the pump will shut off. It will not stay on until it sees the engine is running. From the test you’ve done the priming pump is working the way it should.
I jumped the solenoid with 12 V. It makes no click or noise. How do I remove the cone shape object to the left of the solenoid that you can see in the photograph I Unscrew the solenoid with that there any suggestions thanks It rotates freely so it does not unscrew. I believe it is covering an adjustment screw. Does it just pop off of there?
I WISH it was that easy.!! It’s a steel tamper proof cap that has to be cut off.. It’s not made for the “layman” to work on..
I think I was able to sneak the solenoid out past it on the last one I did. That was 10 years ago though.
Put another way. "No user-serviceable parts under this cover"
Under the HOOD..!!