I have a 289c that has been back and forth between the dealer for the past 3 months. Originally there was a hydraulic problem where the lift arms would go all the way up as soon as you started it and wouldn’t move at all even moving the controls. After the dealer replaced the pump, complete valve manifold assembly and valves as well as both lift arms, the problem got solved. Today is the first time I have actually used it and after working it for about 45 mins, I got an over heat warning and the gauge was in the red. I shut the machine down and checked the coolant and it was full. I restarted it and let it idle and the temp slowly went back to half way. I noticed at idle the cooling fan was not turning which I thought was strange. I started using it again and after 10 mins it got hit again. I went back and looked and even though it was hot, at idle the fan was not turning. So I unplugged the fan and restarted machine and thought it would go full speed but still did not turn. So I took it home, pulled the solenoid valve and cleaned it with brake clean. I also turned the fan manually and it was pumping oil out of the opening. I reassembled and started but it still didn’t turn. I then open the throttle wide open and it started to spin but not really fast. I can barely feel the air it’s moving. I kept the throttle wide open for 30 mins and the gauge stayed at half and the fan was turning until I idled it down then it stopped again. So the question to you all that know these machines, is this normal fan operation? If not, what’s the likely malfunction and what should I be checking?
The signal to the fan motor solenoid comes from the ECM If you have a DMM try measuring the resistance of the coil on the solenoid. The specification is 7.3 ohms @ 20 DegC.
if you disconnect the hyd temp sensor (mounted at bottom of hydraulic tank) and the engine temp sensor, the fan speed should increase the minimum fan speed is 1100+/- 50 RPM the maximum fan speed is2690 +/- 50 RPM
The fan motor is driven by the charge pump. Seeing as how the machine is otherwise working OK that suggests the pump is good. That really only leaves the fan motor as the suspect. Could it have been been connected backwards? It contains a check valve that means it will only work in one direction. It should look like this.
I had a 287C act similarly after the dealer installed reman hydrostatic, gear and high flow pumps. Turned out during the clean out process the tech had swapped the lines to the fan as mentioned above. Easy to check
It is 7.1 when I check it.
My fan is hooked up just like the photo above.
7.1 vs a spec of 7.3 is close enough as far as I'm concerned.