289c2 S/N CAT0289CLRTD01590 Shut down for the night went to start the next day and noting, dash lights up goes off, gauges sweep, glow plugs cycle, parking brake light and hyd light stay on. Everything is normal until o turn the key to start it and nothing happens. I have checked the sensors in the seat and on the lap bar both have continuity and function properly. I changed the starter relay located by the starter. I have verified the battery has proper voltage. I have knocked on the starter to see if she needed a love tap. Nothing, it doesn’t even attempt to roll the engine over, what am I missing?
Do you know how to use the Monitor System to pull up Diagnostic Codes.? Kudos for posting the S/N BTW. Makes it so much easier.
If by monitor system you mean a digital screen like the D series has. I do not have one the mace has the old stye located in the top left of the cab. Nor do ihave any cat Diagnostic equipment
I didn't mean the latest digital all-singing, all-dancing screen the latest models have. So you don't have one like this on the RH side of the cab..?
My appoliges, I do have the screen shown on the right had side of the cab.
It's not as user-friendly as the newer screens but you can still access Diagnostic Codes & Events from that screen. See the attachment. You are looking for anything in Mode 0 or in Mode 2. Those are the Active ones. Post back with what you find.
Thanks, Im going to head out and see what i find.
Take a good look in all four Modes in the Service Menu and list everything that appears please. I need to correct what I said above. The important Modes for Active Codes or Events are Mode 1 and Mode 3.
Mode 1) 444-5, 2474-3, 2476-3 Mode 2) E875-2 Mode 3) E876-1, E875-2, E391-1
Nothing in Mode 4.?
mode 4 was 4420047
That seems to be it. 2474-3 & 2476-3 relate to the F/R and L/R position sensors of the LH joystick. If the electronics cannot detect that the joystick is in neutral then the engine will not be allowed to start. This would prevent a potential non-desired machine movement caused by the joystick not being correctly centred. 444-5 is for the starter motor relay. You're going to have to break out the multimeter. See the attachments. I'd suggest to start with the starter motor relay diagnostics even though you have already changed the relay. It could just as easily be a wiring fault. You will find the 6-pin connector shown in the troubleshooting procedures directly under the joystick base. Some disassembly will be required in order to get at it.
Are the joystick faults current? I had the left joystick fail this fall it would stop the macine if you went too far to the right with it, machine would still start i did replaced the joystick. when i was in the diagnostic menu mode 6 showed both joysticks at zero percent. so i'm guessing its a starter motor relay issue? My parts manual shows 2 of them one on the left side of the engine and one on the right. i did not replace the one on the right.
Get back into Mode 6 and try moving the joysticks one at a time. Watch the signal. You will have to go into each of the 4 joystick sensor sub-modes in sequence and observe the variation of the signal. They could be Logged Codes relating to prior to the joystick being replaced. Go through the troubleshooting procedure step by step and it should lead you to the root cause. I'll send you an electrical schematic. It might help you.
Okay here is where I have gotten so far, Wires for the starter relay circuit have been tested (per the troubleshooting procedure listed above) and everything checks out okay all the way to the ECM. I have constant power to the starter relay. Went ahead and put a new battery in and cleaned all connections. I have checked and double checked the lap bar and seat switches. I have checked both sets of wiring harness connections. The one thing I have not done is check the joysticks with a meter since they were both reading properly on the diagnostic screen (mode 6) but at this point it cant hurt. What am I missing? could it be a problem with the starter its self? I really dont want to buy an ECM at the tune of $2200 and have to wait possibly 60 days just to have that not be the problem. I want to make sure I have covered all my bases before I do that or call Cat to have them take a look.
It's primitive but you can't you juice the starter contacts with jumper cables to see if it bumps the engine over?
That is the next thing i am gonna try, along with the control's test.
Well, it ended up being the starter. if you encounter this problem and you change the relay with no luck, check the starter before chasing all those wires.
Glad you got to the bottom of it. At least a replacement starter would not be as expensive as an ECM.