Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299d parking brake

Clampet06 · 2023-05-04 15:21

I have a 2013 Cat 299 DXHP. It starts and the hydraulic functions work fine but the parking brake will not release. Besides the seat switch and the door switch, where should I be looking? Thank you.

Replies28
  1. #1Nige2023-05-04 15:31

    Have you got a Serial Number.? There are quite a few different models of 299D XHP. Any warning lights staying lit on the panel once the engine is started or that come one when you try to release the parking brake.? Do the implements (bucket lift/tilt) work.?

  2. #2Clampet062023-05-04 15:42

    NLC00351 Yes the engine light with the exclamation point is on in yellow

  3. #3Clampet062023-05-04 15:49

    The loader functions do work

  4. #4Nige2023-05-04 15:51

    It sounds as though you have one or more active Diagnostic Codes. Light #3 I would imagine..? Solid or flashing.? Which other one.? Use the instructions in the attachment to get into the Monitor System. Check Mode 0 for any Active Diagnostic Codes and also Mode 2 for any active Events.

  5. #5Clampet062023-05-04 15:53

    Light # 3 is and has been flashing for some time because the loader bucket inclinometer need to be replaced and I just do t want to do it again. Light #12 is the new one that came on

  6. #6Nige2023-05-04 15:57

    Amber or Red.? Either way you need to get into the Monitor and locate a list of Diagnostic Codes/Events. Post back when you have them. The inclinometer might just be the wiring, not necessarily the sensor. It's a quite common issue. When you look at the Codes check if you have 3700-3 or 3700-4 Active.

  7. #7Clampet062023-05-04 16:03

    Yep 3700-4

  8. #8Nige2023-05-04 16:10

    Do you have anything else in Mode 0 on the Monitor apart from that.? Is the engine light flashing Amber or Red.? Check Mode 2 and see what Events you have. I have money bet on E459-2.

  9. #9Clampet062023-05-04 16:13

    Apologies for my ignorance, but how do I know what mode I am in?

  10. #10Clampet062023-05-04 16:14

    I’m not sure what mode I am in, but I have found the following E569-2 E571-2 E570-2 E875-1 E361-3

  11. #11Clampet062023-05-04 16:17

    Engine light is yellow

  12. #12Nige2023-05-04 16:23

    When you press the two end buttons for 3 seconds and release them that should take you straight into Mode 0. If it doesn't, press the scroll down (centre) button once and release. If there is nothing in that Mode the panel should show three dashes "- - -". To move from one Mode to the next press the scroll down (centre) button once, then release. That will take you from Mode 0 to Mode 1. Again give the system time to let it do its thing. Another press of the centre button will take you to Mode 2, and one more will take you to Mode 3. From Mode 3 pressing the two outside buttons for 3 seconds will take you back to the Operator Menu.

  13. #13Nige2023-05-04 16:28

    I may be wrong but I think that should be Mode 3, Logged Events that were Active at some time in the past but are not Active now. E569/570/571 all relate to abnormal motor speed sensor signals. E875 is low system voltage E361 is a cooling system overheat condition.

  14. #14Clampet062023-05-04 16:36

    After I have held the end buttons for three seconds it immediately pops up with 3700-4. When I press up or down arrow to scroll into different modes as you described nothing happens. The only way anything changes is if I push the right button. Those codes I found must be old as the machine has sat for a couple months

  15. #15Nige2023-05-04 16:56

    OK, so apparently it's going straight into Mode 0 (Active Diagnostic Codes), and the 3700-4 is the only one you have, and it will not stop the engine cranking. I can't guarantee those instructions 100%. If pressing the right button changes modes then do it that way. From 3700-4, press the RH key once and release. What do you see.?

  16. #16Clampet062023-05-04 17:01

    One press - same code 3700-4 2 press - blank 3 press - shows the e codes I listed earlier 4 press - 4687994 5 press - 01 69 6 press - 01 0 7 press - blank

  17. #17Clampet062023-05-04 17:25

    Also, I just started the machine again and the yellow engine light isn’t on. It has been running a couple minutes

  18. #18Nige2023-05-04 17:28

    Can you go back to this area of the Menu please. Get the screen showing 4687994 and press the RH key once - then wait............ After it shows "01 69" it should change to "02 xx", then "03 xx" and finally "04 xx". If the display does not change automatically after a couple of seconds then try pressing the centre button once. if that doesn't change things then try pressing the LH button. Note all the numbers it shows on the screen. Then press the RH button again until you see "01 0". This Mode has NINE steps in it. Can you scroll through them in turn and note the value for each of the first SIX please.

  19. #19Nige2023-05-04 17:30

    That light relates to the air cleaner requiring maintenance (excess inlet restriction). Check filter condition, electrical connections on the sensor, etc, etc. Could the filters have possibly got some damp into them.?

  20. #20Clampet062023-05-04 17:41

    This time on the fifth press it came up as 01 82 instead of 01 69 The following are the 9 steps 01. 0 02. -5.0 03. 0.0 04. 0.0 05. 0.0 06. 1 07. 0 08. 3 09. 0

  21. #21Nige2023-05-04 17:52

    That is the coolant temperature. Obviously it can change from one minute to the next. Can you go back to that same Service Mode 5 menu again and observe the readings for steps "03" and "04" please. Those are the signals from the track speed sensors. After completing that go back to Step 06 in the 9-step menu (Mode 6). This is the parking brake switch status. If you change the switch from ON to OFF or vice versa the number on the screen should change from 0 to 1 and back again.

  22. #22Clampet062023-05-04 17:58

    Mode 5 Both 3 & 4 are 0 I went to mode 6 and found the #6 option showing 1 I have tried to change it to 0 but can’t seem to get it to change. What button should I use. All 3 change the screen not the #

  23. #23Nige2023-05-04 19:23

    Operate the parking brake switch on the machine dash panel from ON to OFF and back again. While you are doing that watch the “1” on the screen. It should change to “0” when you put the brake switch in the OFF position and back to “1” when you move the switch back to the ON position.

  24. #24Clampet062023-05-07 14:52

    I’m sorry it took so long to respond, but I have just gone through the steps and use the parking brake switch, but it does not change the value on the screen from 1 to 0

  25. #25Nige2023-05-07 17:33

    I can suggest two more ways to try it. 1. Do the same test that you did above but this time do it with the engine running. 2. With the engine off but the key ON, set the park brake switch to ON. Go into the menu and check what the parameter for the park brake switch indicates. Then go out of the menu, move the park brake switch to OFF, go back into the menu again and see if the parameter for the switch changes. Repeat the same test with the engine running. If none of the above works then I am afraid I'm out of ideas. The on-board monitoring using the RH panel is nowhere near as powerful as hooking up ET diagnostic software to the machine and watching the changes in parameters on the ET screen.

  26. #26Clampet062023-05-07 18:28

    Thank you for your time. I still couldn’t get this to work. I think I’ll try replacing the switch next

  27. #27Nige2023-05-07 19:35

    I was one step ahead of you and already looked at the electrical schematic. The way the switch is constructed it could not possibly fail without generating a Code - and you don’t have anything other than the 3700-4 for the self-levelling. The switch has two contacts, both of which are connected to ground. The ECM has to simultaneously see open circuit on one contact and continuity on the other. If both contacts are connected to ground at the same time a 0070-3 Code will be generated, if they are both open circuit at the same time the Code will be 0070-4. I'm sorry I can't see any way forward other than connecting ET to the machine.

  28. #28Clampet062023-05-07 19:37

    Ok we’ll that helps also thanks! Now I won’t buy the switch!