Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

297c bucket tilt very slow

Russell McBain · 2024-03-31 17:00

My Cat 297c, GCP01201, has 4400 hrs, bought it used at 4200hrs. The bucket tilt is extremely slow, had it in the shop for new tracks and now the tilt down takes 20 seconds… up is ok, seems normal. Still lots of power lifting and drive. Fluid is good, filters were changed at 4250 hrs .. what should I look for first?

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2024-04-01 13:45

    According to the system your machine is High Flow so the illustration below should be representative of what you have for a main control valve. Try swapping the solenoid valves #3 and #16 for the bucket dump and rackback functions. See if the problem moves from dump (where it is now) to rackback.

  2. #2Russell McBain2024-04-01 19:25

    Ok, thank you! We are supposed to get rain the next couple days, I’ll swap if we do.. and let you know what happens.

  3. #3Nige2024-04-02 00:15

    Question. Did it suddenly start acting like this or has it gradually gone worse over time.?

  4. #4Russell McBain2024-04-02 06:44

    I’ve only had the machine for less than 2 years, had lots of issues. It always seemed fine until the last couple months, it started seeming slow, then last week got real slow. I changed the filter and it got slightly better, more like the last few months. Hope that makes sense..

  5. #5Nige2024-04-02 08:07

    Do you still have the old filter.?

  6. #6Russell McBain2024-04-02 13:22

    Yes I do, had to remove it with a pipe wrench and some heat, but it’s still full of oil.. Cut it open and look for debri?

  7. #7Nige2024-04-02 13:37

    Yes indeedy. Put a section of the filter media in a vice and squeeze to expel the oil so that you can see any particles better.

  8. #8Russell McBain2024-04-02 17:09

    Ok, filter looked fairly good, few small particles but not much. The fluid however is the color of maple syrup, not late season.. but reddish. And sticky.. I’d guess a fluid change/flush..?

  9. #9Nige2024-04-02 17:16

    It may have to be more than one change because you're not going to drain the whole contents of the hydraulic/hystat system just by draining the tank.

  10. #10Russell McBain2024-04-02 17:33

    I suspected that also.. sticky fluid is old fluid, correct?

  11. #11Nige2024-04-02 17:46

    It certainly shouldn't be like that. Any chance that the previous owner put an additive of some sort into the oil to cover up a problem.?

  12. #12Russell McBain2024-04-02 17:50

    I would say a good chance.. I’ll flush/change and see what happens.. Thank you very much, I’ll report back..

  13. #13ozarkag2024-04-02 18:45

    Calibration with ET. Set the parameter as high as it will let you. You still have good lift power, so pressure "should " be good.

  14. #14Nige2024-04-02 19:20

    Swap the dump/rackback solenoids while you have the system drained. You'll probably lose less oil that way.