299C (JSP-00547) - Hydraulic oil leak - bleed out. Machine only leaks when drive motors are engaged. Leak is not on any of the drive hoses that pass through the frame cover to the drive motors. Machine was very dirty so finding the source of the leak has been difficult. Got the machine up on railroad ties by adding 5 gallons of fluid which bleed out very quickly. Removed the drop plate, AC and hydraulic tank and pressure washed. It's clean now. Looking for ideas to isolate and identify the leak once I reinstall the tank. Trying to minimize hydraulic oil waste (cost) trying to find the leak.
Here's the layout of the hystat lines which may be of some help. I would suspect maybe the leak could be the result of a hose having rubbed on the machine frame somewhere. There appear to be a couple of likely spots on the diagram.
Nige, thank you for the hystat lines layout. I have been looking at that as well. I have had hoses leak in the past where they have passed through the frame to the hydrostat motor(s). This time those hoses and hose sleeves appear to be dry. I saw where the rigid tub with the "T" for the parking brake is pretty ruff. But I don't believe a leak there would bleed 5 gallons of fluid in a very short period of time, seconds. Going to see if I can rig up a camera to give a a hint on where it's leaking from. Are there any main seal(s) hydrostatic pump?
OK, I believe I have found the source of the leak. There is a hose included in the Power Train Lines GP 258-3854 that connects to a rigid Tube AS 285-2186. This runs underneath the AC dryer. The hose that connects to the rigid tube assemble opposite 258-3854 is the problem. Now my question is, what is the part number for the failed hose and where is the other end?
OK I believe the hose that broke and I'm looking for is part number 289-0845. It's a little hard to see on the lines group layout.
Look on both ends of the hose that you believe is leaking. There should be an aluminium or plastic tape tag wrapped round it right next to the end fitting with the Part Number. Hopefully it's still there.
Thanks for your help Nige. Much appreciated!