Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299D DEF Delete

Jim Draper · 2019-04-20 22:36

I have a Cat 299D and the def module has fried. Cat cannot find a replacement part anywhere in the world apparently. Has anybody done or know how to just delete the darn stuff?

Replies6
  1. #1DKELONE2019-04-27 11:06

    I had DEF failure on 2010 mercedes sprinter that was going to cost more than the truck was worth. I found a garage in IL. He pulled a black box from the truck, electronically hooked it up to a software company in CA, and an hour later I drove home w/o problems. 1 year later still fine. You may be able to ship your 299 box to him. Good luck MOD EDIT - If anyone is interested in the garage name and number PM DKELONE. For privacy reasons I removed the name and number. Thanks CM

  2. #2DKELONE2019-04-27 15:06

    after removal of def from engine

  3. #3nycb2019-04-28 07:27

    That's pretty crappy if they can't get you parts for a current production machine. Maybe try contacting a local diesel truck tuning shop? They might be able to figure out how to give it a tune to turn off DEF, you'll probably need to delete the DPF though or it will get plugged up fast.

  4. #4Wytruckwrench2019-04-28 07:38

    I’m learning a fair bit about these DEF, DPF systems. With a little maintenance and understanding they aren’t too bad to keep going.

  5. #5nycb2019-04-28 07:45

    I thought that the particulate filters pretty much had a fixed lifespan, they can only regen so many times before requiring replacement. Having this stuff on Ag and construction equipment is just one more hassle, especially if you run into problems way out in the middle of nowhere on a site.

  6. #6heymccall2019-04-28 13:43

    Perhaps if you shared the part number for the module,?