Have a 229d2, had to replace right hand drive, planetary's trashed in old one. Bought new drive unit and installed it. Everything works (forward, reverse and 2 speed) the issue is that it wants to track left. If I hold the stick straight forward, it will track to the left, would probably make about a 30' circle. I have to hold stick a small amount to the right to keep it running straight, does it in reverse also. I pulled up the parameters screen and noticed it showing different rpm's between left and right drives while in motion. Odd part is it's actually showing left drive turning more rpm's than right...would seem to me then it would be tracking right instead???? Not throwing any codes Not sure if there is an adjustment that can be made, a calibration perhaps While it was a new drive, wasn't purchased thru Cat, ordered it from Houston final drives
New drive speed doesnt match old one. If the drive train is recalabrated via et it may work but most likely your goimg to end up getting a new final from cat. Cheap final drives are just that cheap!
Send it back. It's wrong.
did Cat use pretty much same drive across different models, sent wrong drive? Appeared to be identical to old drive externally. Would assume the planetary would be the same on the unit or the case would be different sizes??? I have no idea on internals of pump side of drive.
Can you post a photo of the panel in the upper corner of the cab. It may be possible to get into diagnostics if you have the right type of panel. At least that way the joystick position sensor output signals could be checked. Calibrating the FWD/REV pump solenoids would need ET though. The above is a long shot. When you think about it the machine tracked straight before the planetary exploded in the RH final. You replaced the entire unit, now it doesn't track straight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what changed. Also please post a machine Serial Number and do you know what was the Cat Part Number equivalent that you purchased from the aftermarket supplier.
279d 289d 299d are the same later model c models are too if you shop for used just doulbe check part numbers before you buy
I think right there might be your answer. Seems to point at different planetaries. Did you have to change anything electrically for the speed sensor wiring.? Key question will be what Cat Part Number is the drive you received equvialent to.?
thanks, I did specify when I ordered it, what it was for.
But what part number did the supplier say it was.? Did they ever ask for your machine Serial Number.?
I'll get that info No, I just used the sensor out of old unit, it had recently been replaced. When I installed the new drive, it did throw the speed sensor not reading code at first, pulled connector apart at sensor and plugged back together. Didnt throw anymore codes
nada, They didn't ask serial #, just model. I assumed and I guess incorrectly , that's all they needed.
Post the info when you get it from them, plus your machine Serial Number.
called Precision Final Drives, they verified they sent the correct unit Tested it out again while watching parameters screen...holding stick straight forward, it makes the large 30' diameter counter clockwise circle, the parameter screen shows the left and right drives about same rpm. When holding stick to the right (enough for it to track straight) it shows the left motor running about +/- 250 rpms faster the left motor is at correct diplayed rpm's, the right motor is the one replaced.
At the risk of repeating myself, ask them what is the equivalent Cat Part Number of the drive they sent. Also take a look at the LH Drive motor assembly. Can you see a Cat tag on it.?
I apologize, 442-5642 I'll see what I can find on the LH drive 299dhdx201097
Well according to the as-built consist then 442-5642 is the correct 2-speed drive motor Part Number.
Reman at the local dealer I suspect its not a whole lot more then what you payied for aftermarket
After a quick google