Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299d3 3361-5

Ruben@Bacco · 2023-10-26 14:57

I have q 299d3 xe with code 3361-5. I have searched this website for anything else on this code. I have already replaced DEF doser/injector, dcu harness, & also the dcu it self. I continue to have this code & machine will not rev up. Serial # CAT0299DKLB300540

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-10-26 15:33

    You already loaded the parts cannon more than once, only now you ask for help...... DCU.? What exactly is that.? Been covered before. Click this LINK . It may have most or even all the answers. The same troubleshooting procedure is applicable to your Serial Number even though the machine in that thread had a different S/N prefix. Be aware that the warranty on emissions-related components is 5 years from the date of original sale. Your machine was only built in October 2019 so it is definitiely still within that 5yr warranty period. If you want a complete electrical schematic to assist with the troubleshooting please ask.

  2. #2Ruben@Bacco2023-10-26 15:47

    DCU is the term used in that link. From what I found online it’s the Dosing Control Unit?? Not sure if it’s correct. I have followed everything on there & everything was with the specs it gave. Still went ahead and replaced everything it said to replace just to rule it out. I came on here to make a thread to see if there was anything else anyone knew. Think it might be time to take it to the local cat dealer.

  3. #3Nige2023-10-26 15:52

    Right, gotcha. Did you look at the fuel filter side as suggested on that thread.? IMO it would be a good idea to rule out the possibility of a restriction in the fuel flow side. Take a close look to check that both bowls are full of fuel. You really need some input from the TIER 4 experts, of which I am not one.

  4. #4Ruben@Bacco2023-10-26 16:22

    Yes, this skid steer just had its full service done. Bowls are both full. Thank you for all your help

  5. #5Nige2023-10-26 16:27

    In that case I really hope someone else chimes in but otherwise it appears that you need to be talking to your dealer Service Dept regarding the emissions equipment warranty, and hopefully getting some sort of refund on the parts you have already purchased. When you have a resolution please come back and let everyone know. It will help the next person who finds himself in your position.

  6. #6fultsie2025-06-15 14:11

    Hello all, I'm a newbie to construction equipment and REALLY appreciate all I've learned from this awesome resource, thank you all! I've reviewed the troubleshooting (thank you Nige and others) and need to access the DEF injector, wiring harness, DCU, etc. After searching and searching, I can't find a good R&R procedure. This thing is just so packed full of "stuff" I don't want to remove more than necessary. The 3361-5 code had been intermittent, not presenting any operational issues. As it occurred more often, the RPM would go to WOT, but then gradually drop down. The RPM dropping senario gradually got worse and the code now remains active all the time. I've cleared it on the graphic panel with no effect. Now it will start and idle, but not go beyond 200 RPM above idle so she won't move. I do have Cat ET and all the manuals. When I connect ET, it will connect to only 3 ECM's. The fuel supply from the transfer pump to the water separator/filter to the relief valve is just fine. I've not yet checked to see if the relief valve is stuck open (if that's even possible) I have a few questions that would really help me out: 1) What is the best way to access these components? 2) Is it possible I've already clogged the DPF? 3) Why would the RPM gradually drop, is it derating itself? Wouldn't there be another code indicating derate? 4) I'm evaluating just deleting the emissions equipment, especially if the DEF injector solenoid is dead. Is the "sensor emulator" or "re-flashing" approach the way to go? 5) How difficult is it to access the DPF for cleaning or replacing with a straight pipe? Many and much thanks, I hope to payback the help as I learn more about these impressive (but complex) machines!......Steve

  7. #7fultsie2025-06-15 14:15

    CAT 299D2 XHP 2018 Low Power with code 3361-5 S/N DX202954 ​