Need an engine for a skid steer. Finding different information on it. As far as I understand it is a c 3.8 which is a kabota v3800. But there is a stamp on the block says v3300. Engine from cat is 43k engine from kabota is 20k. Any guidance would be appreciated, I’ve found lots of engines online but am struggling to see which engines are compatible. The engine I have is Esn-2kw0602 AN 416-6089
In addition to the data plate the engine Serial Number should also be stamped somewhere, and in that location the format is Vxxxx followed by the 2KW00602 S/N that is on the plate. If you can find that number it will confirm the Kubota model. Like you I think it is a V3300. The stamped numbers should be located somewhere behind the alternator. The illustrations below show how the data appears on a Kubota V2607 engine, Serial Number 8DW2156. You may have to get a bit creative with some paint remover to make the numbers show up
thank you sir! It was at the back right top side of the block below the intake manifold! I just find it funny that the block has a big v3300 on the bottom near the pan and a v3800 on the location I found. Now I just need to find an engine!
Maybe the V3300 & V3800 engines both use the same cylinder block.?
Get your tools out and let's rebuild this engine here! What has been the diagnosis on why you want a replacement?
Blow by and runs rough. Pulled the motor out and peeled the head off, sprayed the valves with soapy water and blew in the intake tube. The cylinders still have decent cross hatching except for the on side of the block. Which I’m guessing is the thrus side.
How many hours on the engine.?
2100
But it had a fuel pump fail, turbo, and the MAF sensor was corroded so the machine thought it was taking in 580 lbs/hr of air
A Kubota engine dealer is probably going to be your best source of parts. From comments on this forum it appears that they are usually around half the price of Cat. At least price what it would take to overhaul your engine and compare to cost of replacement.
The fuel system is captive to CAT and the pump is not rebuildable. I ordered n overhaul hit. 4500 with oil pump and coolant pump. So I’ll be whipping up a engine rotisserie stand today and pulling the crank out tomorrow
I'm sorry that is not correct. All the fuel system parts would be available from a Kubota engine dealer, at least in the US they are. That same arrangement of V3800 engine is used not only in Cat machines but in Kubota's own line, plus other OEMs as well. The part about the HP pump not being rebuildable is correct. As an example the fuel injectors (manufactured for Kubota by Denso) were purchased just a few days ago by one member at just over $500 each from Kubota versus a quoted price of almost $900 each from Cat.
You guys have it made down there! When I reached out to kubota they told me I can only get it from cat. I was able to find new denso injectors and they did have the mass airflow sensor cheaper but everything else had to come from cat. Now that wouldn’t be the first time a parts guy got messed up, it happens!
I dunno. Maybe don't tell them it's for a Cat machine.? Simply give them the Kubota engine Serial Number and ask them for parts.
Do these liners have top hats? Not seeing anything in sis for them
Buddy of mine here in Alberta has gotten fuel system parts for Cat skid steers thru a Kubota dealer. Might just be dealing with a crappy dealer or parts person.
Are you talking about cylinder liners.? AFAIK that engine is a parent bore type and doesn't have them. Do you have a machine Serial Number to confirm.
Confirmed. No liners. Although here are a couple of snippets that might interest you. 0.50mm (0.020") oversize pistons and rings are available.
Curious as to why they say can’t be flex honed?
Probably came from Kubota. It's their engine after all.
Ok! So some progress, built a rotisserie stand pulled her all apart she had blow by. Looks like the piston skirts were rubbing the walls. I’m being told that there are liners in there, and I found these grooves on front and back of the cylinder right below the liner. I’m assuming they are for the puller tool? Or am I completely wrong and missing something
All available information points to this engine being a parent bore style without liners. This seems logical because if it had liners then oversize pistons/rings would not be an option. I have never been into one of these engines personally but that's the way the information is pointing. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.
Me thinks someone has been in this engine before.
I've been told that the smaller 3.3L can have repair sleeves installed to salvage the block. If the larger 3.8L engine is the same deal then I'd have to agree that someone may have been in there before.
Whatever black salvage process it might be, I can find nothing official regarding the process produced by Cat. Maybe it's a Kubota process.? Even so it still seems strange that in the parts manual oversize pistons are available if the intention is to sleeve the holes back to standard bore size.
I've never looked for a process either, this was just what I was told by a coworker years ago. It is possible he meant oversizing the bore and my brain decided to hear that he said they sleeve it.
Looks just like my Kubota V2203 block, with sleeves. Even though it’s sleeved, it still looks like someone has done a rebuild on it before. I chose to go oversized on the one bad cylinder, I had and stamped accordingly.