Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2cycle oil. To add or not to add ?

dooby ยท 2016-12-31 19:44

I have recently heard of adding 2-cycle oil to diesel engines from a Canadian logger. He claimed lots of benefits and stated he used the cheap chain store bulk stuff at a ratio of 300:01. I asked about synthetics and he mentioned he was not a fan. Today I decided to research this topic and the web was full of info on pickup trucks and dynos etc. The mix seemed to be preferred at 175:01. I would like to know others comments on this topic. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1old-iron-habit2016-12-31 21:55

    I believe there is a post on HEF about just that. Might find it in the search function. Some think it is a good idea based on the new drier fuel. Others are dead set against. Personally I think it can do no harm to an older Cat or such type equipment. Only my opinion though and not based on any hard data. I have no idea if it makes any difference or does any harm to a modern engine. I have none of them.

  2. #2dooby2017-01-01 16:52

    I tried searching for a thread on this before I put this one up. I will look harder. Thanks and Happy New Year

  3. #3Dickjr.2017-01-01 17:47

    Maybe the pump guy will chime in. My .02 , anything made before they reduced the sulfur content the last go around when there was an actual difference in the fuel between offroad and on road , I'd add it in a heart beat. I think this covers tier 2 engines and down. As far as common rail electronic injectors engines , I am afraid to put anything in there other than diesel fuel because they are big $. I bought a 943 loader last year , its the old mechanical 3204 , I like to dose it from time to time to lube up the pump internals and internal injector parts.

  4. #4rubberfish2017-01-01 19:17

    I think you'll find diesel owners are split 50/50 on this topic. Since the intro to ULSD many feel that a touch of lube will help. And just as many feel that the machine/truck manufacturers must know what they're doing and no extra lubrication should be necessary. I use some. Not all the time. Just when I think of it. Not a precise measured amount either. Just a glug now and then.

  5. #5DIYDAVE2017-01-01 20:01

    I'd only use it on older engines, pre ULSD vintage. Their in line pumps are more prone to sticking with ULSD of today. At least that was how it was explained to me...:notworthy

  6. #6dooby2017-01-01 21:40

    I found some interesting threads on this and all of our equipment is older. We are going to give it a try on our logging equipment. The ratio preferences range from 150:01 to 300:01. We will start high and work our way down I am guessing.

  7. #7JTWAT2017-01-01 21:40

    I have been adding synthetic 2 stroke oil to me diesel fuel for over 5 years with no issues. I drive a 2008 F350 with 6.4 and run several tractors,Massey and Ford, and a Cat 257B MTL. Would not use anything else. I add 1oz. to 5gal. of diesel fuel.

  8. #8dn296262017-01-02 00:23

    Option A. If diesel with biodiesel is available, go that route for added lubrication. Option B. Use a high quality 2 cycle oil like Husqvarna brand. If your going to do it, use the right stuff, and the good stuff. Do not use 4 cycle oil, not designed for this purpose.

  9. #9Dickjr.2017-01-02 00:36

    I just figured any ashless or non detergent 30 weight would work. Cheap gallons of 2 cycle oil should be the same ?

  10. #10dooby2017-01-03 13:22

    Bio diesel would not be good for us. We are in Wyoming. The elevation is insane and so are the temps. We can go from 110`F to -30`F or colder. We run Stihl Ultra Synthetic in our work saws and they haven't been in the shop in the three years we have owned them for anything. Does this work with synthetic 2 cycle oil also ? On another forum a fellow said we should run snowmobile oil because of temp extremes and elevation. I have no idea but it sounds good

  11. #11dooby2017-01-03 13:27

    Thanks for the input. I am a believer in synthetic oils as far as saws go and we are having good luck with synthetic motor oil in a gas pickup. I will try this I tjink. We buy our Stihl Ultra Synthetic in 5 gal. bulk so this will not be to expensive.

  12. #12Labparamour2017-01-03 22:24

    I've heard some discuss the problems of using ATF as a lube changing the color of their fuel on road diesel. Would the 2 cycle oil do that or is the quantity too small to change the color? I use parts-house fuel additives in an old CAT 3208 but 2 cycle oil might be a good option. DB