This loader has 17,581 hrs. The trans chewed up a clutchpack again. This will be the 5th transmission in the loader after we replace it. So 4 up to this point. I have worked here for about 2 years anddidnt see how the previous trans were replaced as far as cleaning etc but is this just us or do others have these issues with the 980g? Thanks
The 980G transmission is in my experience pretty bullet proof. I've seen plenty with over 10000hrs on the original transmission. I would say you need to be asking things like; Oil sampling results? Oil brand? Maintenance schedule? Is it always the same clutch that fails? Same or different operators? Genuine or non-genuine parts used? Who does the rebuilds? Abnormal temperatures? Coolant in the oil? (Ties in with the oil sampling question) Same kind of duty cycle or does it change? etc. etc. etc.
I second everything CM said. Those units are pretty well bulletproof.
This time I'll be changing the trans and replacing the oil cooler and oil pump. Cleaning every line and valve etc. This machine has been passed around a lot at least 20 operators if not more.
Once you get the replacement transmission installed it's vital to do a complete system pressure check to establish a baseline for any problem you might encounter in the future. If you want some details drop me a PM with your email address and the machine Serial Number
I have just located the Technician's Remove & Install Checklist for a Wheel Loader transmission. If you want a copy send me a PM with your email address.
its out.
Are you sure the lifting appliance for removal of the transmission was large enough..?
Cat 390??