Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3/4 hydraulic line replaced with 5/8

Applachian · 2026-03-06 06:17

Adding a valve within my extendahoe circuit. This valve is only available in -10 (5/8). Will sending my circuit flow through this choke point be ok. The extendahoe is on a 580SL2 (max 37 gpm relief at 3000) I wouldn’t consider it on a more heavily used circuit but was slay with a little slow movement here. Will this change even be noticeable? Or a lot? I may make any required new lines 5/8 for convenience.

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2026-03-06 09:09

    What kind of valve is it, that is not available in 3/4 Inch ? How about a 1 inch valve with bushings in it ?

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-03-06 10:04

    Will be fine. It will also be easier and cheaper having hoses made going further.

  3. #3Applachian2026-03-06 12:17

    It’s a commonly used valve for compact tractors. It’s marketed for grapple functions, sold by summit.com. Sold in 3/8 and 1/2 as well as the 5/8. I’d be fine with any of those sizes for the backhoe thumb. But I have to send my extendahoe flow into and out of the unit 24/7, then divert to thumb when needed via selonoid and switch. Can’t find 3/4 versions.

  4. #4John C.2026-03-09 21:48

    It may cause a little heat and slow the function slightly. If you ware just using it on the extendahoe circuit you would never notice. You will have the use the thumb a lot before you notice something and most people don't use it to that extent on a hoe. Good Luck

  5. #5willie592026-03-09 22:10

    For a thumb? Naa, not a problem unless you use the thumb from the moment you start the machine non-stop until you shut the machine down.

  6. #6Applachian2026-03-10 06:05

    Thanks guys, I’m going to run it on a stopwatch one last time just so I can compare the cycle times. Then move forward with the project. Consensus seems to be that any adverse effect will be negligible.