Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3.9 Cummins Missing

Tuley ยท 2017-05-20 13:51

Hi Folks, Here's my problem; I have 9020B with a new 3.9 with approximately 200 hours on it. It was to be sold at auction shortly after receiving a new 160, 18 months later it's still here and now wont run on all four. It was last started last fall to load a pipe and it run good then, this spring it started right up but was missing on #2. Pulled the injector and cleaned it, no help, then when bleeding it seems to have less pressure than the other cylinders. I changed all the filters cleaned the water separator to make sure full fuel was getting to the pump. I thought maybe the piston or spring was stuck in the pump so I took them out and cleaned them, then turned the engine over by hand and the "lifter?" was going up and down. Bottom line is there anything else I could be missing? I don't have any test equipment, but it seems like #2 on the pump is weak. the powers above me don't want to spend any more money, and want to sell it as is, I know it's a good machine with a new engine and needs to run good to get decent money. Thanks for any help you can spare.

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2017-05-20 22:59

    If it is a new engine there should be some kind of warranty to cover the cost of the injector. That is just a pop type nozzle so any injector shop could test it in a few minutes and let you know if it is bad or not.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2017-05-21 06:03

    IF you really want to putter around w/ it.. swap the suspect injector to another hole & see if the skip follows the injector. BUT, if the people writing the checks don't care.. don't mess w/ it.. sometimes going the extra mile isn't worth the headache.. I had a call the other day about a throttle shaft leak.. my buddy was asking me how to fix it because the machine was up for sale.. I told him & he went & told the boss.. the boss says, I'll tell you what I think.. My buddy says, it looks like we're callin the pump guy to have him come fix it?? The boss says, NOPE, it looks like whoever JUST BOUGHT this machine bought it w/ a throttle shaft leak.. I'm sure I'll be getting a call from the NEW owner soon..

  3. #3Tuley2017-05-21 10:46

    The engine is a new long block, injectors and pump are off the old engine. The fuel delivery from the injector pump for #2 seems weak, I don't know enough about injector pumps to what would cause it to fail while setting the winter, and fail on just one cylinder. When bleeding the air out once, I didn't get fuel to #2 at an idle, upped the rpms and got fuel but not enough to fire.

  4. #4Delmer2017-05-21 11:25

    Not an expert solution, but I'd run it with clean fuel for a while to see if it gets better, if it's not broken then it's sticking.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2017-05-21 11:35

    I take it by your description of the injection pump its a Bosch in-line pump?? The top nuts/delivery valve holders must be torqued.. if its a "A" pump they're 30-35FT lbs.. if its a "MW" pump its 40-45FT lbs

  6. #6Tuley2017-05-21 13:19

    It is a Bosch inline pump, not sure if it's an A or MW, thanks for the torque specs, I will check when I get to work. Let it run for a few hours, but not work it, never started hitting on all four.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2017-05-21 18:27

    IF you had the side cover off to see the springs & tappets moving up & down.. its an A pump.. An MW has a closed housing.. no side cover to remove.

  8. #8Tuley2017-05-21 20:08

    No I took the top nut off and pulled out what must have been the delivery valve, then turning the engine over and looking in the hole something was going up and down. I don't know pumps at all obviously, so was trying to not mess something up. I was looking for some clue to why just that line wasn't pumping. If three are getting fuel why would one in the middle not be? Is there a check valve or anything that could be stuck from setting over the winter?

  9. #9thepumpguysc2017-05-21 21:09

    Take all the guts from 1 cylinder on the pump & swap it w/ another.. Lube the oring & re-torque.. see if the problem follows.. Check to make sure the inner valve is free/goes in & out.. on the delivery valve.. There is a check valve in the fuel return side of the pump but it would effect the entire pump.. NOT just 1 cylinder ..

  10. #10Tuley2017-05-21 22:06

    Thanks pumpguy, that will be a good test. I will try and do that tomorrow.

  11. #11Tuley2017-05-22 19:05

    Swapped parts from one pump cylinder to another and the same engine cylinder didn't fire. Swapped injectors and was down two cylinders, swapped back and back up to three. I am throwing in the towel, thanks to all for the help.