Just curious of ya'lls experience with 3-in-1 setups. Are they worth the space saved on a truck? Do the put out enough air to run and impact or a plasma cutter? is the welder good enough to get something back to the shop? Getting ready to replace my work truck next year and am starting to look at options.
I have never used one. Always had a big enough service truck compressor to run big tools IE one or three quarter drive impacts, high volume air chisels, a decent engine powered welder/generator to not so much transport patch but repair enough to finish a job and a gas axe to do my cutting as in the field really proper did not always fit the need to be moving SOON. The generators usually would feed 240v single or three phase/60amp and could handle a plasma cutter if we had had one.
I have a 30 gal tank and a good size compressor now along with a miller bobcat and a oxy rig, and a spool gun for the miller. But they don't ;ike us making many in depth repair in public parks if we can stay away from it.
Got to pick your battles and camouflage the operations as need to, to get the work done. Transporting for repairs to transport back is a lot of downtime and $$$.
Hey PJ This is what we are running https://www.millerwelds.com/equipme...lazer-302-air-pak-engine-driven-welder-m00458 So far we have been very happy with them. I think we have 4 (old age kicking in, can't remember for sure) They have been pretty well trouble free, a few small problems. The big thing is to make sure that they have enough room around them for cooling, we had one mounted too close to the side of the truck and had an issue because of it, but that was our fault, not the machines. Mounting directions were pretty clear about how much clearance they needed. One of the things that we have done is mount large air tank for a big reservoir, running a 1 inch gun is not a problem, by the time you have moved on to the next bolt the compressor has caught up. Ours are all mounted on mechanic's trucks, not many days that they are totally used for welding, but it does happen. Mostly running impacts and power with a few hours of welding included. The welders seem to like them. The jump start option is pretty nice also. Obviously, with only 300 amps, gouging will be done with smaller rods, but we do use them for it. If we have a bigger welding job, then the 500 amp goes out instead. But for an everyday unit to supply air, electrical and welding, I find them to be a great machine.
Thanks for the info, Ill be looking into one of these units.
We have 2 Miller Big Blue Air Paks. Pricey but with 500 amp continuous duty cycle and 40 SCFM they never lack in power. I believe the newest ones have even more power. Again it all depends on what you need to do.
Miller makes special machines for service trucks too. https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/engine-driven/enpak-a28-m30142
Damn I am behind times aren't I? Was not aware they had advanced that far.
Our old service trucks had an "Enpak" made by Miller I believe. Welder, compressor, generator, and ran the crane. Pulled from truck diesel tank for supply. Pretty sweet setup. As some other guys mentioned a lot does depend on application. You can buy a compressor and welder/generator cheaper than some of the complete units you're mentioning.
I really like that enpak setup. Right now looking for a budget quote.
WelderDave's link says $9000 list price. Good for a budget number since you'll want something extra.
I had a trailblazer airpak. Here's what I think..... As a welder I liked it. Nice arc, more stable than a Bobcat. Not quite enough arse to do much gouge work. Compressor was nice but really needs a tank to be used with a big impact. Jump start feature was bada$$. Even big 24v stuff it was great. However.....it was too smart for its own good. If you had one bad battery in the group of 3 or 4 it wouldn't charge or go to jump mode. Some sort of safety feature I assume. Wasn't too bad on fuel useage, typical noisy air cooled gasoline engine though. My biggest gripe with mine was the constant issues I had with stepper motor for the throttle. It had several different rpm ranges based on where the compressor was set CFM wise etc. Mine went through a couple and never was right. It went back to Miller. Oh, I loved using my 12RC suitcase and remote with it. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. It's great at saving space, good welder for 90% of what you need a welder for. With a few mods and additions I'd have one again. They're spendy but what isn't?!?
How hard would it be to run lines to a tank? Also would it shut off like a typical compressor when it reaches a set PSI?
It wouldn't be hard at all. Output from compressor to tank, tank to hose reel or whatever. It runs based on demand so it will all work just like a traditional setup.