Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** 300 crawler loader trans issue

408fargo ยท 2020-10-12 01:29

Hello all, I have a ** 300 crawler loader we just purchased for possible use on the farm yard. The unit runs and hyd works but trans will not engage. I've purchased the service manual for it but having some questions regarding my pressure readings. From the pressure side going into the control valve I am seeing 30 psi at max rpms and on the filter housing I am getting about 20 psi at max rpms. I have changed fluid, and filters. Lower hyd trans pump was rough inside case so I changed that out also. When I cut open the filters I found aluminum filings in both filters. I think I have a torque convertor issue but second guessing myself since I'm only getting 30 psi to the control valve with a brand new pump. Does anyone have any suggestions or may have ran into the same issue?

Replies17
  1. #1DMiller2020-10-13 06:34

    It is leaking so severely internally where cannot build pressure or is sucking air, will be one of the two.

  2. #2408fargo2020-10-13 14:12

    With the aluminum filings in the filters be a good indication of torque converter failure then creating the internal loss? When the trans fluid amount specified by the manual is put in, it spills out of the top breather while running which points to a severe internal loss also

  3. #3DMiller2020-10-13 15:12

    Most pump housings aluminum as well. Pumps should be Flywheel side driven where should still be making pressure, trans could be smoked and converter dumped but pumps should be making pressure. One other possible is the converter Flywheel side is sheared away.

  4. #4408fargo2020-10-14 09:48

    So in your experience, what would be your next trouble shooting step? Is it almost inevitable that the trans needs to be pulled regardless and go through it anyways?

  5. #5DMiller2020-10-14 10:49

    Pull both, Trans AND Converter, not much inside a converter except bearings bushings gaskets seals and the turbines to inspect. Need to see what the drive and driven sides look like. If the Drive side has failed it will be VERY Obvious. If converter failed then metal is ALL through the trans and it needs cleaned resealed.

  6. #6408fargo2020-10-14 11:03

    Awesome, thank you for all your advice. Now I am having a hard time locating anyone who even knows this machine exists for looking up parts, do you know if any other machine or a supplier that uses the 2 forward/2 reverse powershift if I run into a dead end?

  7. #7DMiller2020-10-14 11:05

    Most likely a Rockford pattern design as was my Allis, just laid out to ** Requirements. Check thru MINNPAR if they have a Listed Parts diagram in their OEM Pages

  8. #8DMiller2020-10-14 11:14

    Looked it up for my own curiosity and YES a VERY similar set up which means likely SAME issues as found in my Allis. https://cdn.minnpar.com/partbooks/M...GUSON) PARTS MANUALS/MF300 PM #1436362 M2.PDF Page 189 and just prior is the Shift system/clutches layout, DEFINITELY a Rockford pattern.

  9. #9DMiller2020-10-14 11:20

    Inside a Allis

  10. #10DMiller2020-10-14 11:23

    TONS of external Tubing on ** trans, Massive potentials for sucking air.

  11. #11408fargo2020-10-14 13:55

    Did you run into any difficulties finding replacement parts? And yes alot of external piping and it has already been modified by looking at it since it has a front crank driven gear pump to what I assume is the torque convertor charge pump circuit. Sure hope in the end its worth the time and effort to get it working again for the farm

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-10-14 14:45

    Are you sure the front pump isn't the main pump for the hyd's.?

  13. #13408fargo2020-10-14 15:00

    It has a very large pump driven off the top front side of the convertor housing that I'm pretty sure is hyd. The pump driven off the front crank has a line ran to one of the suction ports in the trans sump and it also looks to be a field fix to how the line is run

  14. #14DMiller2020-10-14 15:18

    Pump at front is for the bucket/blade hydraulics The unit on the converter is the trans supply Each manufacturer set types and sizes of seals internals and clutches Rockford clutch built to their requirements where Allis obsoleted and we ended up going thru hydraulics catalogs to get generic seals that could work. Get yours apart and find what failed Then let the games begin! Minnpar is a source Some Massey dealer parts men know how to look these up

  15. #15Welder Dave2020-10-14 15:41

    I figured it would be a similar set up to their TLB's that have the front mounted pump for the implement hyd's.

  16. #16DMiller2020-10-14 15:52

    Implement runs Engine speed, trans pump runs Converter side or engine speed as well but separate systems. Do Not remember if ** had a Separate Hydraulics tank strictly for implements.

  17. #17408fargo2020-12-14 14:53

    So I did get the unit to finally move, I tore the shuttle valve apart and it had seized spring cups inside. Cleaned it all up and tested it with the unit on blocks and now I get above 150 psi in all gears. Still have suction leaks somewhere as fluid is aerated but things are looking positive. Hopefully it will still want to move once its back on the ground