Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

304.5 cat excavator

Allan Neels · 2024-05-10 07:05

I'm looking for the 2 speed line from the final drive motor to the swivel There are 2 small lines need to identify witch line is the 2 speed line

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2024-05-10 10:47

    There are multiple models of 304.5. To identify which one you have and to make looking for information easier please can you post the machine Serial Number.

  2. #2Allan Neels2024-05-12 20:05

    The 304.5 serial number is #WAK00722 The bottom small line connections on the swivel are the return lines and the top small lines are the 2 speed connections. I replaced the drive motor and double checked the lines by not connecting the 2 small lines to the drive motor and running the machine then pressing on the 2 speed button the line that pumped out oil was the 2 speed line. I connected the 2 speed line to the middle of the drive port and the small return line to the very top port on the drive motor. Everything is working now the new drive has been replaced. I do have another issue the reverse on one side of the machine is very slow, forward works great but reverse is very slow on one side. I was hoping that when I replacing the drive motor that the slow reverse issue be would corrected.

  3. #3Nige2024-05-12 20:31

    Can you please clarify. Did you replace the motor on the side that was previously slow in reverse and it has made no difference.?

  4. #4Allan Neels2024-05-13 10:52

    I replaced the motor and drive as one unit and the slow reverse problem is still there

  5. #5Nige2024-05-13 11:25

    In that case the swivel is the obvious suspect. It may be that the seals on the section that carries the “feed” oil flow to the travel motor when you are in reverse are leaking. When the machine travels in the forward direction that line only carries return oil flow from the motor and so has no real effect on motor performance even if it is leaking internally.

  6. #6Allan Neels2024-05-13 17:49

    Can the swivel be repaired in the machine or are rebuild swivels available

  7. #7Nige2024-05-13 17:57

    On a machine as small as yours access will be the biggest problem. A swivel is easy enough to rebuild but it will have to be removed from the machine and got onto a bench in order to disassemble/reassemble. When I get chance I'll post up a parts list plus the instructions. Not sure about rebuilt swivels being available but even if they were the price would be astonomical compared to the cost of a set of seals.

  8. #8Nige2024-05-14 17:42

    See attached. It has the parts list & all the instructions. There is a seal kit available under a single Part Number

  9. #9Allan Neels2024-05-16 07:18

    Thank you very much foe the information you have been very helpful. Your information has sent me in the right direction to correct the problem. I will keep you posted on the results. the machine will be in use for for a bit. I will be ordering the parts and review the repair instructions.

  10. #10Allan Neels2025-05-27 19:37

    I changed the swivel, I replaced it with a new unit it was a 2 days job, the end results are the same it is still slow in reverse on one side not sure if I should change out the motor and drive on the slow side. It is staring to get a bit costly with changing out parts with no results. any suggestions

  11. #11HeavyMetalRepair2025-05-27 20:29

    Have you inspected all of the linkage to the control valves? An ex co-worker was called out to a machine with a travel complaint. It ended up being a build up of dirt and debris under the floor mat that was limiting the movement of the travel control lever.

  12. #12Allan Neels2025-05-27 20:54

    The floor plate is already removed after changing the swivel. I will check again. I checked once before when I was looking for some adjustments to the linkage things were clear then. Thanks for the input

  13. #13HeavyMetalRepair2025-05-27 22:19

    Check the rod ends and pins of the linkage and bell cranks (if any) for excessive wear. Bent links, rusted linkage etc. anything that will affect the movement of that linkage. You can also compare valve spool travel of left vs right