it started blowing black smoke and would not shut off, finally died after a minute. wonder if I broke a ring and it ran on the oil? Isuzu 3Ln1 engine I think, never had this happen before what next?
ISUZU 3Ln1 ????? Check : ISUZU 3LA1 , or 3LB1 . Regards
Sound likely, did you check the oil level? Check the fuel injection rack moves correctly, and have a way to shut off the air before you try to start it again.
I checked again it said it is a 3LD1, went back today checked fluid levels oil good, coolant was low from overheating.i expected it to be stuck but low and behold, it fired right up and ran fine. I loaded it on the trailer way more ready this time to shut the air off. I did notice the air filter was very dirty any way this could cause the engine to suck fuel from some where it wasn't supposed to or maybe it could cause the fuel rack to open to much?
Hi earthscrater, I send you Service Manual for ISUZU 3LD1 . Regards
thanks STEFANO,that is a well laid out service manual, wish they were all like this one.wonder if the governor spring could cam open to much and get stuck, causing it to run away? but why would it do that after operating for 15 min
No, that's not the way the fuel system works. I'd pull the valve cover after running for a while, I suppose it's hypothetically possible that worn valve guides combined with backed up oil would suck enough oil to run. Usually the crankcase breather is away from the intake, but if that was run to the intake, that could sure do it also.
on the runaway engine stuff, if its black smoke its fuel, and if its white smoke its oil ? or would every thing be black
Hi earthscratcher, the ISUZU Engine compatible with 3LD1, is the ISUZU 3CE1 Engine. To solve the problem, change Engine. Price : 2500 - 3000 Eur . Regards
thanks for the info STEFANO, I think I have it narrowed down, I don t really need to do an engine swap at this time. these engines have three individual injection pumps and my engine oil smells of fuel. so I am going to start with the three orings that are serviceable at the top side of each pump. if any body has any questions on IHI equipment call Chris Jones in service dept 1-270-737-1447. he has saved me countless hours just like HEF!!!!