Went to start my 308 this morning and it would not turn over. Had it plugged in for a couple hours. It was -20c. It normally starts no problem. When you turn the key on, the dash lights up like normal but when you turn the key to start nothing happens. I then got it going by jumping the starter with a screw driver. I ran it for 6hrs and when I was done for the day I shut it off and immediately tried to restart and same thing no start. I then tried jumping the starter again, but this time it would only turn over the motor half a turn and the starter would disengage from the ring gear. Now I can’t get it started at all. Could it be the starter or is it a wiring issue? Thanks.
Have you checked to make shure all you battery terminals and grounds are clean and tight? If you take a multimeter and check voltage at each battery for a quick test to see if they are any good. Typically if anything below 12v it's a bad battery. Also if you see the sides of it swollen out time for new batteries. If your battery is no good be shure to check the alternator as soon as you got the machine running. Pull the ignition/start wire off the starter and use the dmm to test it to see if you are getting power at the wire when you put the key onto crank. Helps if you have someone with you. If all that checks out you good, the least your starter will be good for keeping your hands warm cause its pretty toasty.
My first thought would be bad batteries. You may have 12v static charge, but while cranking it may drop right down. Good luck!
It ended up being bad contact at the ignition/start wire at the starter. Thanks for the help.