Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finding the right size

zeek89 · 2020-01-22 12:14

I’m hoping you guys can help me figure out the right size excavator for my needs. The initial plan was a backhoe (general industry questions thread: Can a backhoe do all this?) but there seems to be a lot more support for a mini ex & CTL combo. So with that in mind, I’m hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction. I’ll be looking for something used. I’ve got two slab foundations to dig (40x50 x2) with stem wall and footings only requiring a depth of 4’6”. I’ve also got to put in a few culverts and driveways, trench the sewer and water as well as hydro and backfill. I’ve attached a picture of a foundation excavation from a similar project last year. I’ve got a 1 acre lot that needs to be prepped for construction of 12 row houses next year that will have the same style of slab foundation as the ones described above. Site prep for this year involves putting in a road (230ft), installing utilities as well as sewer and water, so lots of trenching. Is there an excavator in the 8-12 ton range that could tackle this? Or am I better off considering getting a 5 ton machine that could do most of my trenching and pair it up with a rental in the 20 ton range. A CTL would be rented on an as needed basis for this year as well. I’m not looking on how do complete that scope of work as fast as possible. Quality work, completed in a reasonable timeframe, using an efficient machine, that is user friendly for a newer operator is what I’m after. Thanks guys

Replies1
  1. #1cuttin edge2020-01-22 13:03

    I am surprised that you were talked out of a backhoe. In the right hands, a bh will do all the work you want with one operator. United rentals rents all these machines. My suggestion would be to try both before you buy. We have mini excavators and backhoes. They both have their place. Our Backhoes are plowing snow these days. But again, it all depends on your partner's ability to pick up on operating. In my experience, you either got it or you don't