Hey guys I got a back hoe that I’ve had the shuttle reverser out 3 times now over couple yrs, Well the tractors rarely used on the farm an sits a lot, first time I had it out I had went threw it an replaced all blocking rings, clutch piston seals,clutch discs,clutch plates basically all the regular wear items. Flushed cooler few times, Second time when it quit pulling when it gets hot, so I pulled it out again, pulled it apart an went threw it again, I think we put blocking rings, piston seals, an clutch discs. Put all back together and drives fine again an after a while pushing brush it warms up an gets sluggish an starts haveing issues pulling itself, Let it cool off for few hrs an drives fine again till it gets hot again then slips again, We don’t use it much but I’m getting tired of pulling the shuttle out an going threw it. I’ve built several of these shuttles over the yrs in random differ tractors, but have never built the same shuttle 3 differ times outta the same tractor?
Did you set the forward clutch pack clearance to 0.021"-0.036"? Seal rings and bore on the end of the input shaft OK? Did you check pressures while it is running OK as compared to when it slips? Does the clutch cutoff spool start to stick when it gets hot?
No sir didn’t set any clutch pack clearances what would the shims be. The spring washer that presses against the clutch pack piston? Or is it differ thickness snap rings?
If the pack clearance is too much you could have good pressure but slipping clutches.
"is set with this snap ring which is available in 6 different sizes" This is a critical step. If too close then the frictions don't disengage properly and tractor creeps/ wears out way too soon. If too far, clutch cannot lock together.