Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310 L engine oil. Everything at Walmart is 15w-40. Tractor seems to want 10w-30

emmett518 · 2021-08-14 05:41

Since I'm hearing rumors of shortages in oil, grease, filters, etc, I bought what I need for the yearly tractor maintenance to have it ready for next year. Happened to be in Walmart, and they had a ton of 15w-40 oil in Rotella, and Delo. Not one spec of 10w-30, which is what Deere seems to spec. Why the limited variety? Even at Advance Auto Parts, it's hard to find 10w-30. Can I use 15w-40 instead of the 10w-30?

Replies15
  1. #1emmett5182021-08-14 06:01

    Found this buried in the “fine” manual.

  2. #2emmett5182021-08-14 06:06

    Thinking out loud, it says that 15w-40 is only good down to 4 deg F. But if I'm going to run an engine block heater before starting, I would think that the engine would never be starting when it's temperature is below 4 deg F. And since I live in Massachusetts, and not Frostbite Falls Minnesota where temps plunge to -40, I would think it's not an issue.

  3. #3Swetz2021-08-14 06:59

    I too found the oil shelves empty in walmart in North east PA. I have had good luck with advance tho. Last time I went to costco, they did not have the oil either.

  4. #4JL Sargent2021-08-14 10:47

    I think you have the right idea. Stay off the backhoe when it's below 4! I run 15w-40 in mine but I'm not in Mass.

  5. #5emmett5182021-08-14 13:10

    I found that Tractor Supply had Rotella T4 10w-30 for $15.99. So I bought that.

  6. #6mg23612021-08-18 05:57

    If your "L" has a Deere engine (which I think it does) then 15W-40 is fine. That's what we run in all of our 310"s (except "EP models) here in PA. If yours has the Yanmar engine (there in the 310L EP machines) then 10W-30 is recommended.

  7. #7emmett5182021-08-18 06:16

    It’s a straight L.

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-08-18 15:11

    For average temps does it really matter that much?

  9. #9emmett5182021-08-18 16:03

    Well, it gets down to -11 F on occasion, and as hot as 100. I think it does matter.

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-08-18 17:05

    I would hazard a guess that 95% of the machines out there are running 15W-40 as it's much more common especially if they have more than 1 machine. If it's a machine that isn't used constantly, I doubt many owners would be changing the oil in the fall and spring. 10W-30 would have slightly easier starting in winter. I don't think you'd hurt the engine running 15W-40 instead of 10W-30. Kind of like cars used to call for 10W-30 and now call for 5W-30. If you have block heater to warm the engine it shouldn't make a huge difference. Detroit 2 cycle engines are about the only ones that really should use a special oil.

  11. #11Swetz2021-08-18 18:07

    Here you go...an oil that flows like a 5 weight when it is cold, and flows like a 40 weight when it is hot...that ought to work perfect.

  12. #12emmett5182021-08-18 19:44

    Sounds like that old Audi commercial. Four vas too small. Six vas too bulky. 5 was just right.

  13. #13Willie B2021-08-18 20:06

    I run 10W-30 from NAPA. They special order it & it seems easier for them to get it in winter.

  14. #14Swetz2021-08-19 06:14

    Not sure why the image didn't show up, but 5-40 is getting very common for diesel oil.

  15. #15Welder Dave2021-08-19 12:35

    5W-40 and 0W-40 are synthetic if you want to go the route but a lot more expensive.