Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on draining off sediment from fuel.

emmett518 ยท 2021-08-14 05:31

One of the tasks on my maintenance list on the new 310 L was to drain the water and sediment out of the 34 gallon fuel tank. Right now, it's about 7/8 full. I have nightmares of pulling the plug, and not being able to rethread the plug back in, causing 30 gallons of diesel to spill in the driveway. I plan on eventually put a ball valve in line with the drain, and then the plug so I can thread in the plug without the pressure of 33 gallons of diesel opposing that operation, but I can't do that until the tank is drained down. Curious about people's thoughts about this. It's the only thing left on the preventative maintenance list.

Replies6
  1. #1berky2021-08-14 06:10

    Not sure on the best way to handle your dilemma, but don't think a valve would be your best option for the future. If you operate in any rough conditions you'll probably rip that valve off and have a much bigger problem.

  2. #2Swetz2021-08-14 06:55

    I am with berky. I have had my machine in mud so deep the tank was on the ground. Also, a stick (log), or rock, would tear it off. Personally, I would just run it down low on fuel and do this. I have done it on my machine, but would not do it regularly, but rather every couple of years. Your inline filters will remove the water, and are a lot easier to drain.

  3. #3cosmaar12021-08-14 10:17

    I third the no ball valve. Run it down as swetz said and then drain out the rest. Whatever you do though, do not run the machine empty. I did that once on my 555e and it was a PITA to prime and start.

  4. #4John C.2021-08-14 10:21

    Go get a barrel pump and put it in through the fill port. You can take the screen off the bottom of the suction pipe and pump the crap into a bucket.

  5. #5skyking12021-08-14 10:57

    What John said or get one of these handy extractors. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2548915173...FNM5yZijHW09XmiVnagpcwffE8cwIbRRoCaOIQAvD_BwE You can vacuum the bottom of the tank and then put it in a quart jar to give it a good examination. That will bring you some peace of mind. I have one and use it for oil changes and all sorts of work.

  6. #6joe--h2021-08-14 11:29

    This sounds like a job for The Suck Bucket . HeavyEquipmentForums Joe H