Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310a Hydraulics slow & weak – need good mechanic

parrothead96 ยท 2013-08-05 22:19

1979 JD 310a. Slow and very weak backhoe...front loader just seems slow, could be weak but I don't know any better. Steering seems fine. Picked up the machine a few months ago from father in law...he is an old farmer type who would rig anything he could and forget about it....thought it would be a fun project.....oops. I have changed all the fluids, filters (both) and sump screen (it was very dirty), most of the hoses replaced too. I had the cylinders rebuilt locally and they don't leak anymore but are still weak. The backhoe control valves leak a good bit (maybe 1 quart every 8-10 hours of digging use). The destroke solenoid on the side of hydraulic pump is missing the wires...might get a new manual type from JD to check that....beyond that I need to get a gauge from what I can see. Does anyone know a good mechanic around the Tyler Texas area? Don't say Doggett...I had them out to look at a very specific issue, explained the part I wanted removed very carefully to the shop manager...the tech showed up the next day without the special tool. Then they hit me with a $400 bill after I sent the tech away with nothing being done. Sorry...fool me once shame on me...fool me twice and...well that wont happen. Just need to find a good local repair place for this old backhoe. I have a trailer and can haul the machine locally. Anyone heard of Christian Tractor? I called him and he said he was 2-3weeks out before he could look at the machine. They seem to work on everything....not sure if anyone specializes in these old machines around here. Many thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1willie592013-08-05 23:00

    Welcome to HEF parrothead96. :drinkup Can't help you much with service provider in Tyler TX as that's a fair piece from me. But from your description of Christian Tractor, 2-3 weeks out, either he's a one man show, or he's good and a lot of folks send stuff to him.

  2. #2parrothead962013-08-06 08:44

    Thanks for the welcome and reply and I agree being busy is a good sign. I guess I need to drive up and take a look. If anyone knows of another in or around the Tyler / Kilgore area let me know. Thanks.