Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310A John Deere Backhoe lost steering.

Bullseye Beaver F. ยท 2023-03-09 11:19

I was using this unit and it just lost the steering capability. Wheels went to right and that was that. Unhooked hydraulic line and getting fluid to it. It was a little dirty, so will be changing that. Steering wheel turns. Any idea where to start looking? I just recently purchased this machine.

Replies10
  1. #1Acecadet2023-03-09 11:42

    Perhaps you could try removing the rod end hose off the steering cylinder and then start the machine and steer to the right. If hydraulic oil pours out of the rod end fitting on the cylinder, your piston seal is blown. That would explain why it turned all the way to the right and would not come back.

  2. #2Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-09 11:50

    Thank you. I will try that.

  3. #3Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-09 15:13

    The steering wheel turns, and turns, and turns................

  4. #4Acecadet2023-03-09 15:49

    Any fluid being pushed to the cylinder?Does the steering wheel provide any resistance? Could the column shaft be broken?

  5. #5Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-10 13:54

    Yes, had fluid there in both lines going to the steering cylinder. When I turned the steering wheel oil came out both the hoses . Not sure on column shaft being broken with me getting fluid to cylinder.

  6. #6Acecadet2023-03-10 14:46

    Did you try just unhooking the rod end hose and seeing if fluid was passing through the cylinder at the end of its stroke?

  7. #7Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-11 08:46

    No. But I am going to.

  8. #8Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-11 08:47

    Thanks for your continued support!

  9. #9Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-11 17:29

    Took the cylinder apart and the nut on the ram had completely come off. Threads were gone. That was the problem. Thanks again for all your help!

  10. #10Bullseye Beaver F.2023-03-11 17:33

    I have a manual for John Deere 310A - 310B Tractor, loader, backhoe. Technical and Parts. If anyone needs a copy of a page out of it I will share.