Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310D Reverser Solenoid Discontinued

kdl72 ยท 2022-04-07 16:23

I have a John Deere 310D that has serial number 780455. It needs a FNR solenoid. The solenoid I have is bent. It will fully engage in the reverse direction but will not fully engage in forward. I have removed it and checked it on the bench. Being bent, it does not have its full range of motion in the forward direction. It appears that there are two styles of solenoid manifolds for this machine. I have the discontinued style. The newer style solenoid will not fit in the older style manifold. John Deere says I can upgrade to a new manifold, but the cost is $2300. I see that there are a lot of aftermarket FNR solenoids that fit the newer manifold, but there appears to be nothing for the older one. Does anyone have a good used solenoid for a 310D that has a serial number under 792483? Or, can anyone tell me a workaround that will keep me from having to update manifolds? I don't want to spend the $2300 unless I absolutely have to. I do plan to try to straighten the solenoid I have, but who knows what the outcome of that will be. Thanks for your help.

Replies10
  1. #1heymccall2022-04-07 17:42

    No chance of getting a part number for us?

  2. #2heymccall2022-04-07 17:44

    Still working on it. Found this for mucho less. https://www.brokentractor.com/amp/p...-solenoids-at163601-at15139-at163601-at15139/

  3. #3kdl722022-04-07 17:52

    Thank you. I saw that earlier today but it won't be available until July. I'm hoping to be able to use it before then.

  4. #4terex herder2022-04-08 14:09

    And how did it get bent? Before you try to straighten the armature for the solenoid take it to a machine shop and see about getting another one made. It will be easier to reverse engineer as a one piece unit. It should straighten easily, as they are a very mild steel. High strength steel will hold magnetism. Post a couple of pictures so we know exactly how it looks.

  5. #5kdl722022-04-08 14:26

    Thanks. That's a good idea. The end with the magnets is bent. I don't know how it got that way. It was like that when I got it. The person I got it from had trouble with it going forward. I foolishly took the reverser out and had it rebuilt assuming that was the problem. The clutches were actually bad, but I should have done more troubleshooting. After putting it back together, it still did not want to go forward. That's when I found the bent solenoid. I will take some pictures of it later.

  6. #6kdl722022-04-09 08:53
  7. #7kdl722022-04-09 09:02

    It looks like the small threaded part shown at the top of my pictures presses into the shaft. I am guessing the valve can be removed from that end if I were to take it apart. I doubt it will come outas bent as it is though. I think I'll take measurements, straighten it, then take the valve out to check its condition. Any thoughts? Thanks

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-04-09 11:03

    I doubt the top end that is threaded is pressed on. Maybe it is. It wouldn't be cost effective to do that when simply machining the stem and threading it would be quite cheaper. By all means, straighten it as best you can and try it. I think I would have a machinist look at it to determine if a new stem could fabricated and installed on it.

  9. #9joe--h2022-04-10 11:18

    The ebay parts are the later style? https://www.ebay.com/itm/185374803374?hash=item2b293305ae:g:z~sAAOSws9FiTWkG If so, I wonder what the difference is? Joe H

  10. #10jpc32022-11-01 10:05

    Hey kdl72! I have a similar old machine SN 785280 and my machine will not run in reverse. Deere's reverser solenoid manifold assembly lists at more than $7K so I am looking for used or aftermarket. Did you ever find one? If you did, can you tell me where? Thanks, Joe