I thought I would share this. I am sure it is similar on Several Deere and Case tractors which use the same Borg Warner Shuttle reverser. The reverser on the 310D I purchased is trashed. Nothing but ground up metal and melted plastic from one of the planetary gears disintegrating. The reverser cooler is part of a combined cooler that has a section for the transmission, a section for the hydraulics and a section for the reverser. A real pain to remove plus about 8 hoses to keep in the correct order. Even if removed, I would still have to find a way to clean it so no metal or plastic bit contaminate the new reverser. John Deere recommends replacing the cooler at $1,054.00. Aftermarket is in the $850 to $950 range plus tax and shipping. I left the cooler on the tractor. To clean it, I got a Male garden hose to 3/4 female pipe brass fitting made to go on a freeze proof hydrant. I also got a garden hose male to 1/2" barbed brass fitting and screwed them together. Then I took the trigger nozzle off my truck's fuel transfer tank hose and screwed one end in place of the fuel nozzle. Keep in mind, I am parked beside the backhoe. I shove the barbed end into the hose from the cooler on the RIGHT side of the machine where it was detached from the t fitting on the bottom of the reverser. This is where the oil returns to the reverser pan from the cooler. Doing this, I am going to flush the reverser backward. The hose to the cooler on the LEFT side which is the pressure side is spring clamped to a 5 gallon bucket. Next I flip on my fuel tank pump and go watch the fuel shoot out of the hose into the bucket. At first it was nasty and full of crud, then cleared up. When it was clear, I shut off the pump, disconnected the hose, put my nozzle back on and blew a shot of air through the cooler. Diesel fuel is thin so easy to blow out unlike oil. I am confident it is clean.
Rome, I have done more of those shuttles than I dare even think about after 52 yrs with Case, I have done JDs also but much prefer working under a Case, maybe it is because I know the ropes on those, on 2wd 580s I could have one on the floor in 3/4 hour I used all Case kits to rebuild the JD shuttle, the only difference was the JD used a fiber lined reverse plate where the Case was solid brass so I put the Case solid brass in. I have cleaned the coolers in similar fashion as you did without a failure, Case also recommends complete replacement. I did buy a OEM JD converter. Planetary failures are rare in my world but really mess things upI have seen one or two that a reman was the only reasonable option
In all honesty, the converter, baffle, filter,(both melted) and the 1 trashed planetary gear seem all that was messed up. Clutches look new, plates nice, no gear nicks except the one planetary out of the 6 that split open and ground all the teeth off. You have to buy the JD converter. It is a 6 bolt mount, the Case is a 4 bolt flex plate. Case used to be cheaper but I found both close. I did order all the wear parts for a Case. I would post a picture of the gear and planetary but it asks for a url and I do not use a web service for pictures.
If I were u i would put a magnet in the pan and let it there, I do that often, if something has disintegrated like you said There will be stuff getting back to the pan, you will be amazed how much will be on it . Tractor Supply will have bar magnets that are put into cow's stomach to catch hardware, Just orient it so it does not interfere with the suction screen
Rome475c ; There is another way to post images without using the box that asks for a url. At the bottom of the reply pane there is a blue panel that says Upload a File. Click on that and a box will appear that gives the option to locate and open the image. Select the image, open it, and it will upload. Then chose if you want a thumbnail or full page image in your reply.
Used hard drive magnets are the most powerful magnets that are easy to find, you can stick one to the outside of a canister filter and it will stick anything magnetic to the inside of the filter. Or stick one to the outside of a canister filter, it won't move. Or epoxy to the inside of drain plugs.
Reverser pan has a magnet. round with center hole like commonly found in auto transmission pans. Magnet is a must.
Thank you Tinkerer!
Correction: The return hose goes down the left side of the machine to the fitting with a barb on each side above the pan. The pressure hose goes down the right side of the machine. To flush in reverse, flush from the left hose. Cheers.
does the case 680E use the same transmission and shuttle as the case 580E
No it does not, Dave.