Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310D Wheel Torque Formula

labdad · 2023-10-13 12:35

Trying to decipher the proper wheel nut/cap screw torque value/procedure for my 1994 310D. The technical manual shows what I assume to be torque and turn values, but hey, I’m an airplane guy! Given what you see in the manual excerpts, what would the procedure be, and, if it exists, a target torque value? Thank you.

Replies7
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-10-13 13:09

    Welcome to HEF Iabdad . No formulas ,no torque turn required. The 2nd pic that you provided ,That would be the torque specs. Exact same information is in the Operator’s manual. Recheck after 100 hours.

  2. #2Nige2023-10-13 13:13

    I'm with Dave, don't see any particular problem with the torque settings in the photos you posted unless you are more familiar with a torque value expressed in the form X lb ft +/- Y as a tolerance.?

  3. #3labdad2023-10-13 13:30

    Thank you. Yes, I am more familiar with a given value, not something like 425 + 125 -85 lb-ft, etc. My question still begs, how are those numbers applied?

  4. #4JL Sargent2023-10-13 13:40

    So on the rear shoot for 425 ft lbs. If you are a little over (up to +125) or a little under (-85), that's ok.

  5. #5labdad2023-10-13 13:57

    Roger, Wilco!

  6. #6Nige2023-10-13 15:02

    Not rocket (or even aeronautical) science either way......... Another way of expressing it is aim for a torque value of somewhere in between 340 and 550 ft lbs with a target value of 425 ft lbs.

  7. #7labdad2023-10-13 20:12

    Alright, I got it and can now sleep tonight!