I have an international 250 a backhoe I believe it is a mid-70s model. It's lips in reverse. Trying to figure out if it's worth fixing. Any experts out there. It will move in reverse when on the level and with no power to the transmission. I live in central Pennsylvania and I'm trying to figure out what to do any help would be appreciated
Is it worth fixing? Do you use it? Do you need it? What kind of shape is it in other than no reverse? If you didn't have it would you have to replace it or live without it? Are you mechanical or would you be paying someone to do it? You have 100 acres or 2? Lot of things enter into is it worth fixing and you have provided no info. Joe H
Hi Joe, to answer your question, yes I do use it, yes I would have to replace it, it is an old machine and yes it has some other issues which can be expected with older equipment. But the engine runs good it starts easily. But I would have to pay someone to do it as tearing the tractor in half is above my pay grade. Plus I am not sure with the age of this equipment if parts well even be available. Plus I must consider the cost to have this tractor repaired versus just buying another used piece of equipment and hoping for the best. Thanks for your time Joe I do appreciate it. J i m
Were it mine I'd fix it. Sounds like it's probably worth close to zero as it, buying another unless you really step up $ wise is going to be another in the same condition but moving the day you buy it. Wait and see what kind of answers from someone who knows those old IH machines shows up to advise. Do you have a repair and parts manual? Joe H
Hey Joe , That is what I'm hoping for, although finding someone who knows anything about the 250 is tough. Most of the kids at the repair shops I talked to weren't even born when this hoe was made. I'm embarrassed to say I do not have the repair manual or the parts manual. Mainly have not been able to find them, and my mechanical ability is limited to rebuilding cylinders Etc. I did flush the entire system and put new hydraulic fluid in it and filter, didn't help. Still only Moves In Reverse on the level. And very slow. Thanks j i m
International Harvester 250A Industrial Tractor Manuals | Service | Repair | Owners | Parts Buy International Harvester 250A Industrial Tractor manuals and get Free Shipping. OEM Parts, Owners, Service and Repair Manuals are available. www.themanualstore.com https://www.jensales.com/content/ppp/international-harvester-250a-industrial-tractor-service-manual.pdf International 250A Industrial Tractor Manual This is the complete operator's manual for the International Harvester 250A industrial tractor. This owner's manual contains information on operating, adjusting, maintaining and troubleshooting your International Harvester industrial tractor.Covers All Years and Serial Numbers - Other websites... farmmanualsfast.com This one below is the service manual, complete they say for $30, call and ask if it covers your year and your transmission and get it if they sound legit. International 250A Industrial Tractor - Service Manual This is the complete service manual for the International Harvester 250A industrial tractor. This is the same manual that the repair shops use! It contains hundreds of pictures and diagrams containing all the information you need to repair and troubleshoot your International Harvester industrial... farmmanualsfast.com Same one on ebay, $35 free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162307267131 I'd say get a paper copy, PDF is ok but confusing & if you don't know what you're looking at really confusing trying to flip back and forth. If you don't fix it you'll have to buy someone else's troubles, might as well give it a try before you scrap it. Joe H
Hello Joe, thanks for the information. I can still use the hoe without reverse. But it is definitely a pain in the butt. And that is the sticking point weighing how much it would cost to fix, versus how big of a pain in the butt it is not having reverse. As always thank you for your time j i m
Or buying someone elses pain in the butt. Joe H