Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310g intermittent power

farmgirl · 2018-12-23 00:52

Hi there. My husband recently passed ( well, we got divorced so same thing..ha!) and Im left running the farm. This backhoe has a weird problem. It will be going just fine then the brakes will set all of a sudden. If I then push the parking brake button to set the brakes and really hold the brake pedals down hard, I can feel the fluid being released (or drained?). I then release the parking brake button and can drive again. Last year we had the pump inspected and found no issues then moved on to rebuild it. It hasn't fixed the problem and it seems to be getting more frequent. The filter was changed last year. Where do you think I should look for the problem?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2018-12-23 10:32

    You just never know when a backhoe will come in handy, right? I'll pass on speculating on the actual problem. Hopefully one of the more up to date members will know that system better.

  2. #2mg23612018-12-24 05:38

    The park brake gets its pressure from the transmission. Check the transmission oil level. Check with the engine idling and the transmission warm.

  3. #3farmgirl2018-12-30 00:10

    I've looked and I only see 1 area to fill hydraulic fluid. I was told some models have 2 separate reservoirs, one for transmission and one for hydraulics. Or they could both share same fluid. I looked online and couldn't find my answer. Any idea which it is for the 410g? its a 410, not 310...oops.

  4. #4farmgirl2018-12-30 00:11

    When i went to get fluid, he said if separate reservoirs then they'd be different weighted fluid.

  5. #5mg23612018-12-30 05:26

    The 410G has a transmission dipstick on the right side engine compartment towards the rear of the engine (same as a 310G). Just asking, it is a "G", correct? Checked the same as well, engine idling with the transmission warm. I attached a picture of the dipstick location. Transmission uses John Deere Hygard. Any oil with the JDM 20D standard can also be used. I would only use Deere's Hygard because of the friction modifiers in the oil. Hydraulic oil on that machine can use Hydrau if getting from a Deere dealer. 15W-40 (or 10W-30 up there in the North) engine oil with a CH-4 rating can also be used in the hydraulics.

  6. #6farmgirl2019-01-06 22:21

    Well sonovabeech. Thought for sure that was oil. Climbed all under the thing and took the floormats out to get to access panel. No wonder I didnt find it!! :/ Yes, it's a G. Thank you so much for the detailed info, I appreciate people that know their stuff.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2019-01-08 23:47

    Welcome to HEF. Did that solve the problem? Always good to know how an issue ends up as it can help someone else in the future.

  8. #8Vetech632019-01-09 07:18

    Well...…….HOWDYYYYYYYY!!!!! LOL