I have an intermittent problem that just started. Upon random starting of the machine, some of my accessories do not work and the voltage light comes on. Basically every switch on the side console goes out: AC/Blower, return to dig, Horn, Radio, flashers Work lights, wipers, heater and beacon, air ride seat. Sometime the hour meter and tach does not come on but eventually does when the engine is run long enough. On diagrams, I have traced all the non working components back to the K2 accessory relay. Im trying to locate where that is on the machine and how to get to it to perform an electrical test. My assumption is its in the side console, but how does one get to that relay? Any help would be appreciated. This relay gets power from the ignition switch in the on or accessory position, then distributes it to the rest of the switches in the side console.
I have a similar thing going on with my 310E. Sometimes battery light comes on and hour meter doesn't work when I first crank the machine. I let it warm up for a few minutes and then give it a high idle and the light usually goes out + hour meter begins to work. I theorize that the alternator is getting older and does not excite as easy as a new one would. When these machines are cranked and running, the battery feeds the alternator voltage and then the alternator takes that input and generates an output to the tractors electrical systems including the battery light and hour meter.
The relay is behind the front panel on the console. Based on letsdig18 video and several comments, I'm betting the relay is your problem.
Me too.
I thought it might be the alternator too, but after looking at the other components. It appears to be the relay as power is not reduced and cranking is fine. I can start it and the amp meter does what you describe sometimes, when it does come on after starting, non of my accessories work. I can run the machine and the light will go away but still none of my accessories work. When the accessories are working, the amp light is not on. However after running, I loose all accessories and the light does not come on. I have 12 volts to the relay but nothing else, So I am pretty sure its the relay?
Great Video! Thanks for finding it for me! I hope I don't wind up like this guy and replace the relay then question if it was the relay. At least I see how far he could pull that panel out to get to it. I didn't think you could pull that out that far. My relay looks new that is on it, but you know how looks are with electrical components......my other thought was the key switch too, but its sending 12volts to the relay in question. SOooo I am betting its the relay as well...
Well Fred, I guess we need to get us a couple of relays.
Success!! I replaced the Accesssory relay PN AR73144 ($40) from my local John Deere construction equipment dealer and all my accessories are in good working order now. I rode around in air conditioned comfort last night which was great! The side panel pulled up enough to allow access to the relay being very gentle to not stretch or kink any of the switches or wiring. The old relay was taken out from above. It rattled, so that was a good clue the internal workings were shot (also the fact that I could get 12 v to the relay but nothing else). Probably the cheapest fix I will ever have on this machine that made so much of an impact!! Its a pretty good size relay from what I have messed with. Here are some pictures of how to get to it and what it looks like.
Great news! Thanks for the follow up.Glad you're back in business.