Hello. I need to change the oil on my John Deere 310SG. I am looking for any input with regard to using sythetic oil. Thanks.
Delo 400 XSP 5w-40 is a good choice if you want easy starting this winter. It’s available and not difficult to find. Kinda expensive, but you don’t need much.
Thank you.
Shell Rotella T6- 5 w40 is a good choice also. Simon C
Thank you. I am generally out of touch on a lot of this stuff, do most people use synthetic oil now?
That question is kinda hard to answer. I would think not because of the higher price compared to oil refined from crude oil. I use synthetic motor oil because it flows much faster in the winter. I also use synthetic gear oil for the same reason.
Start a motor here in Northern Alberta at minus 30-40C with 15W40 which is great oil in Texas and you can expect an inspection hole the size of the piston out the block. Most here use 5W40 or 0W40 Synthetic for winter starts. Even a plugged in block heater does nothing to warm the oil in the pan. Simon C
I’m in the lubricant biz. Synthetic DEO is 50% of sales in the states. So, it’s roughly 50/50 in 2025. Synthetic DEO is more like 70% of sales in my area because of the cold weather.